When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My custom Pam Phantom review

phaedo

Thought I should make a post somewhere about watches, so here goes.

Last year when Flav was doing a lot of pam hommage watches, I got on the bandwagon. I was really liking the black lume models, so went with a black lumed model, with the 'phantom' text on the dial. C1 lumed hands. Overall, it came out alright - not perfect, but aside from one small issue I will have to get fixed sometime, a nice watch.

Pros: Custom made to my specs

Swiss movement

Great crown and CG

Decent at keeping time (not sure how accurate, as I don't wear it often, but not out by much - I don't notice much if a watch is 2 minutes out over a week, and most of them don't stay wound a week at a time anyway)

Cons:Came with a typical rep strap

Although the black lume is cool, and is the tritec stuff, it is no better than your typical rep lume. Not much that could be done about that really

Expensive - paid around $600 for it

There is a bit of paint on the minute hand on the lume

Doesn't get enough wrist time

I suck at photographing watches (not a con of this watch in particular, but all of them)

All in all a nice piece, but I think for the price I should have maybe thought a bit harder before I decided to buy; it doesn't get worn enough for now, because my work dictates I wear something I don't mind getting beat up, and I tend to just keep one watch on all day rather than switch when I get home, so it really only gets thought about when I have something to go to, and can get away with wearing something that won't fit under cuffs.

On to some pics:

DSC00077a.jpg

Here is a lume shot, with my DSN 113 on the left for comparison (f5.2, 1 sec exposure, 800 ISO)

DSC00067a.jpg

Here we are with another lume shot, a couple of minutes later (f5.2, 1 sec exposure, 800 ISO)

DSC00075a.jpg

The pic Flav sent me before it was shipped

phantomwatch.jpg

And a wrist shot

DSC001852.jpg

Edited by phaedo

Cool looking watch. I did up a similar type with the black lume and a PVD case.

Very interesting to note the differences between your lume shot and the one from flav. I am glad to see that you listed the exposure information as well, it's much too easy to make the lume glow look much brighter than it actually is in person. One second is a good exposure and about as close to the real brightness in person.

Cool looking watch. I did up a similar type with the black lume and a PVD case.

Very interesting to note the differences between your lume shot and the one from flav. I am glad to see that you listed the exposure information as well, it's much too easy to make the lume glow look much brighter than it actually is in person. One second is a good exposure and about as close to the real brightness in person.

Good luck with the sale.

Hi Zig, yes it is interesting to note the difference in lume shot from my pic and Flav's, but now I look at his pics versus mine again, I get the feeling he sent a stock picture rather than one of my watch for a couple of reasons. The lume being one, and the small bit of paint on the hand is visible in my pictures, including the lume shot, but not in his pictures.

Having had it about a year now, although I don't wear it much, I don't have any plans on selling, I think I would regret it in 10 years time if i were to want to wear it then. Plus, being a special order, it isn't like there are thousands of this particular watch being out there.

I am so sorry, haven't had my tea yet, and for some reason I read the post as a sales one, my apologies.

Understood on the stock picture. The Dark Grey lume is cool, but the glow is quite faint, ok if your a SEAL I guess and don't want to be spotted.

I agree on keeping it, I like the uniqueness of it, same goes for my Fiddy with the old pocket watch movement, it's unique and a one of a kind. Sadly I don't have my Stealth 212 anymore, but I can always make another if I get the urge. It's the only one I have ever used the Dark Grey lume on, it's not a popular colour.

That is a hard watch to photograph, your probably better if you exposed somewhere other than the dial, it being completely black makes the rest of the picture over exposed.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am so sorry, haven't had my tea yet, and for some reason I read the post as a sales one, my apologies.

Understood on the stock picture. The Dark Grey lume is cool, but the glow is quite faint, ok if your a SEAL I guess and don't want to be spotted.

I agree on keeping it, I like the uniqueness of it, same goes for my Fiddy with the old pocket watch movement, it's unique and a one of a kind. Sadly I don't have my Stealth 212 anymore, but I can always make another if I get the urge. It's the only one I have ever used the Dark Grey lume on, it's not a popular colour.

That is a hard watch to photograph, your probably better if you exposed somewhere other than the dial, it being completely black makes the rest of the picture over exposed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Without wishing to take this off topic, I loved that 212 - you should definitely consider doing more! B)

• 1 month later...