When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What would it cost?

brucesreps

What would it cost to have a watchsmith put a different dial on one of my rep datejusts? I already have the dial. The dial has no prongs on the back that attach to the movement, it is smooth. Will this be a problem? I bought this dial for $80 USD and is a gen dial I believe. Also, would it cost alot to swap crowns? The datejust I am trying to mod currently is an A21j with everything rep but the bracelet. The crown I have is actually a gen crown. Would it even fit? Please, if you have any info email me at Cragstone2003@yahoo.com since I am leaving for 3-4 weeks for work in about 2 hours and will not have access to a PC but can check my email with my pos phone.

I wouldn't like to comment about the crown, but the dial could certainly be fixed to the movement with 'dial dots' (or tiny bits of double-sided tape, for those who prefere 'barnyard engineering' :lol: ) As you've got the parts, you'll probably only be looking at a fee based on an hourly rate :) Best of luck with your project :good:

Hmmmm... Gotta be careful with gen dials going into reps. Not all rep cases are the same; some may have too small of a rehaut (diameter), some may require the dial to be trimmed down, or worse, some may have the rehaut too large in diameter, with the dial just falling through to the crystal since there's no lip for the dial to seat against. Kind difficult to say if it will be a straight forward swap until you actually get in there to test fit.

Same goes for the crown- Some gen crowns will work with the rep tube, some may not. Since we're talking 6mm gents, there are two different types of gen tubes used- One is a larger tube for the 6mm and one is the same size tube as used with the 5.3mm crown. Always best to just match tube with crown and install accordingly.