When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I think I'll keep it-and start modding

DocBotanus

Well, I think I will keep it. The 5508 from Josh is not exactly what I expected, but I am trying to be realistic. My goal is to try to get it to pass to the casual observer- not to fool anyone here. My intent was to get a Bond sub, and this seemed the closest to the Goldfinger sub.I'll be doing it myself, as I am unfortunately rarely afraid to get in over my head, and I have a very tight budget. Therefore, parts modification is the rule except where replacement is the only option. I am bowled over by the modded reps here so they will serve as my inspiration. I don't expect to achieve anything like bertieng's gorgeous Bond Sub; truth be told, if I had the 4K that cost, I'd probably buy my first gen.

I have tried to absorb the knowledge here, but it is massive-if I do not give credit when referring to someone's work it's simply that I forgot where I read or saw it.

I am posting some new pics of the watch, with my ideas or observations and questions based on my limited knowledge. Any input is appreciated! "Be brutal, be brutal!"

PS With the time I have been spending here my wife is beginning to think I have an online girlfriend-or am avoiding other projects in the house.

1) The case itself-

I am not sure how accurate this is- I gather the 5508 should have a thin case, and I measured 6 mm. I understand the lug holes should be a bit larger? The case itself could use some scuffing to look worn. I recall some placing a naked case in a can of pebbles...

2) The crown-

It seems proportional to the case, but I understand that a true Bond would have the Brevet crown. Should I leave alone, and any rec'd source?

3)The bezel-

Compared to gens, I think that the notches on the coin-edge are light(at least it is not a later type bezel). They don't go all the way top-to-bottom, but I have seen drawings/photos of gens that don't either. Deeper notchin would be a tedious possibility, but a recent thread makes me think bezel removal is fraught with potential disaster. At least the numerals are a proper square font. I see the pearl referred to a lot, but I am not sure what makes a gen look that way.

4) the crystal-

It is slightly domed, but I suspect not enough. I gather that is easiest to replace from inside with the guts out and the bezel in place? If I replace it is there a source like the UK's Cousins?

and saving the worst for last...

5)the face-

As much as I can tell, the 5508 never had anything but a gilt face-correct? But since Josh told be this is the only rep face available, I guess I will have to mod it. I have no prayer of touching the typeface, but I think a repaint of the markers would help a lot. I have many fine brushes, a set of surgical telescopes and a steady hand, so I'll try it. The hands have a more yellow-green creamy color. I would like a more luminous dial- are there any retail sources for Super Lumina? If not, any favorite formulae for doctoring?

I should also note that the black dial face looks like a very satiny black paper- it has no real sheen or texture. Is that correct?

One last question- any suggestions for a complete basic set of tools should contain? Any favorite sources?

Thank you all so much for your encouragement!

PS That is still the cling wrap on the bracelet, which I had posted previously, is to be replaced with a Corvus strap(20mm- I felt funny understrapping).

post-23117-1247597214_thumb.jpg

post-23117-1247597228_thumb.jpg

post-23117-1247597243_thumb.jpg

post-23117-1247597255_thumb.jpg

post-23117-1247597273_thumb.jpg

post-23117-1247597290_thumb.jpg

post-23117-1247597306_thumb.jpg

Sounds like an interesting project. I will certainly defer any advice on modding and aging to the experts. But, I would imagine you wouldn't want to relume with SL. The original tritium lume would probably be close to zero by now.

Good luck with this one.