When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Upgrades, Customizing, Etc....

This is pretty much directed at Rolex Rep people. I've seen and read a ton of posts about upgrading rolex reps with gen parts, and i was curious as to how much one would go swapping out rep parts for gen parts.

And, being that this is something that interests me, where did some of you start? how did you know what do do to modify you rep, cause i also noticed alot of situations where people increase hole sizes, file cases, etc.

Would love to try my hand at doing this, any specific references to getting started, tools, measurments, part suppliers?

Well.... Initially, what got me into this hobby was this specific case set:

104083-25569.jpg

I picked up this genuine 16234 case set, which consists of a genuine Service Replacement case, 18k WG bezel, genuine dial, crystal, etc. My initial plan was the use a genuine Rolex 3135 to transplant in, and build something for my son; my wife and I were still expecting him at the time (I think she was 6 or 7 months pregnant), but I wanted to get a head start on putting something that I could hand down to him someday... Maybe at graduation or something fun like that.

That case kit was the start of a relationship with one of my good suppliers that I use to this day, and little did I know what would develop.

So, in the meantime, I started to look for a movement. The 3135's were (and still are) quite expensive; most of which cost 4x the cost of my case at minimum. So... I started to look at other alternatives. My paths crossed with reps (I was looking at ETA movements, and in trying to research if an ETA would fit my Rolex case, I found discussion of ETA based reps. Go figure :) ), and I stumbled onto RWG and TRC by chance. I had been a fan of watches for a very long time; owned some gens... And some replicas prior. Had an Idealwatches Sub, and interestingly enough, I had also purchased some watches from Eddie and River prior to even knowing about RWG or TRC. It's a small world. But, I digress. Having found RWG, an entire world of new, cool stuff had opened up to me. So... I started looking around. Picked up some stuff here and there... Discovered modding watches, which seemed to be inline with what I wanted to do- Build watches. I started off by farming my stuff out... Sending stuff to a member at the time, who I later discovered wasn't in good graces with a lot of members. Long story short... This was the motivation to start learning how to do my own mods and work. I started off light, and gradually worked my way into other projects of different skill set.

My first build.

104083-25570.jpg

Still have it and love it to this day :)

104083-25571.jpg

From there... I went on to the fabled MBW's. Their allure of accepting genuine parts intrigued me. So, I gave a few a shot... One of my first MBW's evolved into this Tudor Sub (7928)...

104083-25572.jpg

And, well... Several watches later (not a lot, but quite a few), the rest, as they say is old news :)

I know that some people find spending money on mods and parts for rep watches to be ridiculous; after all, at the end of the day, it's still a rep. But, for me... It's more than just the money factor. It's truly a hobby. One that carrys a huge amount of satisfaction, along with a number of challenges and so forth. The fun for me is to see what I can build. Also... It's a lot of fun chasing down rare parts, finding useful and creative ways to use parts from the parts box, etc. I've never had this much fun with genuines. And that's why I continue to build.

^_^

Frankenstein on....

Best,

R

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod

@ Ubi

I think it is great how you look at this hobby, it is truly for your satisfaction. You do alot of the work yourself and that is great, you make them really yours. I think some of your watches are better than the gens since they had so much care and hard work put in to them, sure they have flaws, but knowing you put the thing together has got to be quite satisfying. I am lookig to buy a few junkers in the near future and give a shot at learning to mod, etc. You've got a hell of a collection of quite unique time pieces, I can't wait to see whats laying on the famed granite counter next. Your a true asset to this forum, keep up the good work.

Thanks, guys. This hobby is a ton of fun... Lots to learn, and I think that ultimately, the knowledge gained makes us appreciate watches- both reps and gens, even more so in general :)

What I think makes this hobby even better is the people you meet and interact with. Lots of very knowledgable, educated people here with extremely respectable backgrounds. Exactly the opposite of what WIS and purists say of people who buy replicas.

Anyhow... I hope more people decide to give modding a try. It puts an entirely new spin on the rep collecting hobby, and makes it even more enjoyable :)

Best,

R

I agree, Ubi, i think you are an inspiration to those of us who enjoy rep collecting and customizing as a hobby, I am truely inspired by your creations. thank you

I was about to say the samething. I am not nearly as involved and certainly not aw accomplished but i am beginning to feel sucked in.. it is such a cool hobby. anyway good stuff