When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Custom made movement rings for Vinatge PAM projects

dadog13

Hello vintage lovers...

I have in plan to make some custom made brass (if somebody wants, these can be done out of aluminium as well) movement rings for the vinatage PAM's - Angelus & Cortebert...

This post is made with the intention to see how many interest there is for this kind of parts...I got a couple of PM's in the past months thus I decided to check whether there is any interest or not...

I have done a couple of them in the past for some of my friends and they appeared to be OK..

Please state the type and number of them...all reply's in this post, no PMs at the moment!

Please take a look at the next couple of pictures to see how an Angelus mvt ring looks like (this one is mounted in a 6152/1 case from DSN) :

custommvtring.jpg

custommvtring3.jpg

custommvtring2.jpg

custommvtring1.jpg

Edited by dadog13

seems that members over at RG have more vintage projects in the drawers than the one from RWG..there has been expressed some interest (it looks like a limited run will be done)...I'll however wait a week or two before I do the list of interested members...in the meantime I hope there will be done drawings for different type of movements/cases...

bump... ;)

Dadog13, a lot of people from rwg are repgeek members too. I have already replied on rg i'm interested with brass mvtholders for Molnija. :good:

I know that members usually are registered on both forums..

I thought that everybody will reply once, or here or there...cause my decision of making these will be only if I have a certain number of interested people.

seems that there is interest for the mvt rings..

If I read correctly the interest is for the following movements :

• molnija 3602
  • cortebert 616 (other?)
  • angelus sf240
    • 45mm
    • 47mm

There is already one drawing (made by rmcsherry) existing - for the Angelus SF240 to suit a 47mm case...it has been tested and it is good.

What we would need now is to make drawings for other movements/cases - I am not the most skillful to do it, thus it would be great if some members could do it (the 1st one who does it correctly, will be rewarded with a free mvt ring)...

We have to foresee all the possible problems with these, cause I do not want to see this project fail...I did not handle a lot of different type of cases nor movements thus I do not know if cases of the same size but from a different maker have actually some different measures...I am looking forward to hear the opinion from members....

so let's bring this project to it's 2nd phase...winkCA3D11ZE.gif

last but not the least, let me hear what do you think it would be a fair price for a custom made movement ring?

member rmcsherry strikes again!

R was kind enough to make the first drawings...please take a look at the picture that I will attach and let me hear your comments (members who have in hand movements and cases - please review this drawing if needed) :

angeluscortebermvtrings.jpg

another drawing has been sent by member merlin699 (RG member) regarding the movement ring for the molnija 3602 suited for mini fiddy case - please share your thoughts and comments :

merlin699 said for another case the height 3mm should actually be 4.5mm and the outher width should be "X" depending on the case (and not 37,7mm like on the pic)

WHR_MM_Molnija.jpg

To R : Are Cortebert 616/Molnija 3602 dimension the same ? I Think so because Russians bought the tooling from Cortbert.

To Dadog13 : I let you choose the price that you think is fair. Your project, your price !

I'll check the dimension differences - I think the Cortebert tooling / Molnija thing is just a myth - whilst the 1950's Molnija does share some remarkable similarities, the thickness, main bridge diameter, gear pinion thickness etc. are all different - I suspect they've taken the design and made their own version of the movement that shares some dimensions / visual similarities. From what I remember, the 1950's Molnija is very different to newer models, so we'll have to check the dimensions of a few movements before proceeding with this one! If anybody has any feedback on the existing drawings (mine and Merlin's), then we can make the necessary changes.

It'll also be useful if you all measure the internal case diameters of your watches - there might be 3 or 4 standard sizes that can be used for this project.

I have a small noob question -> do both Radiomir-style 47mm cases and the Fiddy-style 47mm cases have the same "interior"?

I'd be interested in rings for Molnija (the old 50's styled ones), 1 for each Radiomir (either 45 or 47mm, depending on the answer above :p ) and 1 for Fiddy.

Shout when you have more info for us please :)

Edited by Neuuubeh

I have a small noob question -> do both Radiomir-style 47mm cases and the Fiddy-style 47mm cases have the same "interior"?

I'd be interested in rings for Molnija (the old 50's styled ones), 1 for each Radiomir (either 45 or 47mm, depending on the answer above :p ) and 1 for Fiddy.

Shout when you have more info for us please :)

Radiomir 47mm's are usually smaller movement rings; mine are 37.2mm compared to 39.5mm for a Fiddy.

• 1 month later...