When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Budget Tiffany & Co Submariner

TeeJay

This was ordered on my behalf by my wife from a CQout dealer, with the sole intention of me using a few parts for my project sub. I have to admit, I was rather pleasantly surprised with what arrived :)

She paid for express delivery, but not FedEx, so this was a pleasant (if slightly worrying) surprise...

DSCN1579-1.jpg

Why worrying, well, FedEx are known to be a good way of getting goods seized, and I would feel more comfortable knowing that the dealer had used the method agreed upon... Oh well...

DSCN1580.jpg

DSCN1581.jpg

Inside the box, the watch was very well wrapped :)

DSCN1583.jpg

DSCN1584.jpg

DSCN1586.jpg

DSCN1587.jpg

DSCN1588.jpg

I liked the case-back so much, I decided to transfer it to my project sub...

DSCN1592.jpg

DSCN1612.jpg

Serial Numbers...

DSCN1593.jpg

DSCN1594.jpg

My first fixed-lug case... I have plans for this :lol:

DSCN1597.jpg

The strap was a bit scratchy, but quite nicely made:

DSCN1598.jpg

DSCN1599.jpg

DSCN1601.jpg

The bezel has a sharp edge, the crown guards are pretty narrow, but, the bezel rotates quite freely... Oh well...

DSCN1603.jpg

A couple of quick wrist shots:

DSCN1604.jpg

DSCN1605.jpg

And then the dismantling began... :lol:

Before baking the dial, I used a black marker to erase the Tiffany & Co branding, and then used a red marker to tint Submariner red. However, the baking process pretty much obliterated that text... I baked the dial for a minute under the grill, but, I have to admit, even that was a bit more than I'd intended... Oh well, at what this cost, I can try again another time to get that 'creamy white' color :)

DSCN1606.jpg

So it was then just a case of putting everything into the Silix case :) Sacrilage to some, I'm sure, but, I'm pretty much happy with the result :)

VintageSub.jpg

DSCN1611.jpg

DSCN1613.jpg

The whole lot came to just under

Go TeeJay. The man with a vision!!

That baking is a good idea. I think the black marker and red marker mod though wasn't the best. Did you scratch scuff the insert? I think the bleaching might be another choice to produce a more even effect.

Fun stuff. You gotta experiment on a yellowed acrylic or something for the pearl!

Guest HaloArchive

I never realized. I think this is actually a nice base for a vintage. I think that watch would have looked fine with just scratching up the case a bit, baking the hands and dial and aging the insert.

Thanks for the feedback, amigos :good:

Go TeeJay. The man with a vision!!

That baking is a good idea. I think the black marker and red marker mod though wasn't the best. Did you scratch scuff the insert? I think the bleaching might be another choice to produce a more even effect.

Fun stuff. You gotta experiment on a yellowed acrylic or something for the pearl!

I can't claim the baking idea as my own, but it certainly works :) I think if I was to repeat it, I'd only need 30 seconds to get the result I had in mind... I tried removing the Tiffany & Co branding print with tape, but that didn't work, and I tried gently scraping it with the tip of a tooth pick and a screwdriver, but they didn't loosen it at all, so I thought easier to cover it with ink rather than risk damaging the surface of the dial :) To the naked eye, the black ink mod is okay, as the baked ink just looks like staining on the dial. I think the plan should be black ink, bake dial, then apply red ink... Indeed, I did both to the insert :) I scuffed up the edges with a nail file, and put a few scuffs over the surface of the insert, then bleached it with drain cleaner for 60 seconds. The only problem, is that I used taped pliars to hold the insert while it was soaking and for running under the tap, and that left squared lines by the triangle. I later thought I might be able to 'blend them in', with a bleaching of the specific area, (and a 'test fade' in another area) but it completely removed the anodizing by the triangle, and over the 10 marking... That annoyed me :D I'm not sure yet if I can tolerate it as 'chemical spill damage', or if I should get another insert...

DSCN1615.jpg

If I do get another insert, I could always try taking the soak time up to 90 seconds, but I think that might be running the risk of completely stripping the anodizing as I did on my first attempt where the insert stripped down to the bare metal... The acrylic will pick up some scuffs fairly easily :) Infact, it was quite scuffed, but I buffed it clean when re-installing it, as I got an epoxy fingerprint on it, so had to buff that out with toothpaste :) Still room for tweeks and improvements, but for the moment, I'm pretty happy with the result :)

I never realized. I think this is actually a nice base for a vintage. I think that watch would have looked fine with just scratching up the case a bit, baking the hands and dial and aging the insert.

Oh definitely, the watch would've made an awesome vintage base in it's own right (and it will :D ) but it really was just purchased as a dial donor for the project sub, although in the end, I took the dial, insert, caseback and movement. My prime reason for aging the Silix sub and not the Tiffany & Co Sub, was because of the fixed springbars. The watch can only be worn on NATO, and, while that doesn't bother me for an occasional wearer, I like having the option of swapping between bracelet and straps, so that's why it had to go down the way it did. The Tiffany & Co Sub is currently housing the movement and dial which were in the Silix sub, and will probably wind up as a millitary Tudor of some kind (possibly a Snowflake) :) My only gripe with it, is the bezel rotates quite freely, and so far, I haven't been able to prize the bezel off to install the click spring I took from the Silix sub to give it the historically accurate bi-directional bezel :)

for Teejay: Hey man the tiffany mariner is too cool!!

I want one like yours! Where can I find it?? are there other Rolex models with Tiffany&co engraving on the dial???

Thanks, I have to admit, it was a pretty nice watch out of the box, and other than the loose bezel, I'd've been quite happy with it as it was, but, it was only bought as a donor... It was from a dealer on CQout, but I think most dealers have the Tiffany & Co available. I'm not 100% sure how many have the narrow-edge bezel or old-style bezel insert, but they definitely have the Tiffany & Co dial. I've only ever read about a Tiffany & CO Submariner, and I think it was one of the last examples of Rolex putting another company brand name on their dials... From what I've read, a genuine Tiffany & Co submariner is harder to track down than a genuine red 1680 :)