When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is It Just Me?

But why would you spend so much extra money to make your rep look real? I think the reps from some of the dealers are great. They already command quite a bit of money.

I can understand doing an AR and lume job but do you want to spend all that money purposely to pass the rep as a genuine?

I for one would never try a pass any rep as real. I just wear them and if someone comments that great, but I won't take it off to show anyone nor would I walk into an AD with one.

Seems if you spend that much money you are trying all that harder to make your rep appear genuine. No disrespect to anyone here, just my opinion. Cheers!

Some people build models... Some people build cars. And some people build watches.

I'm sure everyone has their own reasons for doing so. Most here enjoy the hobby for what it is with no intent to be deceptive or unscroupulous. Just another facet to an already enjoyable past time.

I don't take this as an insult

In my environment it would be gauche to flaunt $120,000 worth of gen watches in a week. I can't wear most of my collection of reps for this reason, and actually don't wear high dollar value gens or reps when I am going into meetings where this would be off-putting (especially ITE - in this economy)...

your experience in this hobby follows a hegelian triad

you'll start pleasantly surprised by the quality of reps these days (korus), then be emboldened enough by the quality of superreps to think they are nearly gen/1:1/parts exchangeable/BS (hubris), and then have that all become shattered by noticeing some minute but completely damning flaws.

you'll then spent weeks if not months findings ways to circument these damning flaws. you'll fix them, and go through the cycle again with your super modded uber rep, be thrilled only to have those flaws be replaced by even more damning flaws, as your eyes and judgement get even more trained.

finally you can only cure this buy buying gens or making frankens... And you'll go whichever way your sensibilities and your finances allow.

Its a hobby, my friend. Nothing more, nothing less. The hunt for the watches and parts makes it interesting. That's why this is such an addictive (and expensive) hobby.

Most of us here take this as a challenge where we try to get the reps to the best that we can at a fraction of the cost of the genuine article. I maintain a ceiling at 1/4 or 1/3 of the cost of the genuine. That's where the challenge lies. Because at the end of the day, a rep will always be a rep and will not have a value beyond the forums.

This is also my way of sending a "F U C K Y O U" to the ridiculously priced watches now.

Have I spent too much modding my reps? Yes.

Are they more valuable than my gens? No.

Do my reps have more sentimental value than my gens? Yes, weird isn't it.

I value my reps just as much as my gens. The strange thing is, once I suspend the reality of the rep being like the gen, I have much more fun with the collecting aspect. When I change gears (ha!) and try to make the rep more like the gen, the craftsman element emerges. It's a great hobby indeed!