When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Owners of The Rep Rolex Datejust - Question

timeflies

To the best of my knowledge, Roman numerals: NO Stick markers: some yes and some no. Adequate? Not likely. Not on a rep.

Reading through some of the more trust worthy and respected rep vendor sites, I find they are always touting how "accurate" their products are; "just like the original" and "most accurate out there." Some even offer special upgrades to make their watches more accurate. WHY wouldn't an application of a quality lume be something that would be a simple upgrade??? I mean, if it costs a little more money, why not pass the cost on to the buyer? If someone doesn't want people to know he/she has a rep, the lack of lume would be a dead give away. Come to think of it, maybe the gen models of the reps mentioned above didn't come with lume???????? HELP!!

Reading through some of the more trust worthy and respected rep vendor sites, I find they are always touting how "accurate" their products are; "just like the original" and "most accurate out there." Some even offer special upgrades to make their watches more accurate. WHY wouldn't an application of a quality lume be something that would be a simple upgrade??? I mean, if it costs a little more money, why not pass the cost on to the buyer? If someone doesn't want people to know he/she has a rep, the lack of lume would be a dead give away. Come to think of it, maybe the gen models of the reps mentioned above didn't come with lume???????? HELP!!

You're missing the point. If the gen has lume, then the rep factories apply lume to the rep dials. If there is no lume on the gen models, then they do not apply lume.

I believe both the stick and numeral versions both have a dot of lume on the dial above the top of each marker. There is another variant of the DateJust which has large rectangular markers, and those are all lume :)

The best answer i've found on the forums is:

The material for making lume (superluminova/tritium etc. etc.) is very costly and pound-for-pound, is worth more than its weight in gold. Due to the working conditions and socio environment of the factories, most factories won't trust it's sweatshop underage, and underpaid staff with such an expensive/valuable commodity.

The best answer i've found on the forums is:

The material for making lume (superluminova/tritium etc. etc.) is very costly and pound-for-pound, is worth more than its weight in gold. Due to the working conditions and socio environment of the factories, most factories won't trust it's sweatshop underage, and underpaid staff with such an expensive/valuable commodity.

I wouldn't call it the best answer, but certainly interesting :lol:

I would suspect that the reason why factories don't use the best lume, is because the majority of their customers likely don't care about if their watch glows like a torch. Forum members make up a very small percentage of those factory-sales, so it's simply not worth their [the factory] while to pay extra, for a cost the average Joe Sixpack isn't going to want to pay on a market stall... Supply and Demand is the issue here, or to be more precise, profit and loss...

Also, with regards the 'underage' issue, I think it is more likely to see children in factories snapping circuit boards into a DVD player, than it would be to see them constructing a mechanical watch... ;)

PyramidDJY.jpgI have owned a few gen Datejusts and the two newer ones with Roman style markers had no lume. I owned a 2001 Pyramid dial and a 1999 Rhodium dial. The older stick marker dial versions had a dot of lume as described by Tee Jay. The Datejust comes with many dial options. There are dial version where Roman markers are printed on the dial and the face is like an old clock and these dials have no lume. I have seen factory diamond dials at authorized dealers that also lack lume. With the Datejust it is difficult to generalize with accuracy.

PyramidDJY.jpgI have owned a few gen Datejusts and the two newer ones with Roman style markers had no lume. I owned a 2001 Pyramid dial and a 1999 Rhodium dial. The older stick marker dial versions had a dot of lume as described by Tee Jay. The Datejust comes with many dial options. There are dial version where Roman markers are printed on the dial and the face is like an old clock and these dials have no lume. I have seen factory diamond dials at authorized dealers that also lack lume. With the Datejust it is difficult to generalize with accuracy.

You're quite right about the Roman numeral dials lacking lume, I thought I had seen them with lume, but I must have imagined it, so I stand corrected :good:

Here is one from Andrew advertised as having "thick lumi" markers and 10 mil thick gold wrapping:

e9190edc5a9ee45860145941e800a5c9.image.733x550.JPG

That's about as "lumi" as a DJ gets. (Still, it's rep lume, so who knows how bright it will be?)

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=1331

Not a bad looking watch for $248.