When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 111h Problem... :-(

nicmoz81

So.... I finally bit the bullet and ordered my first rep, a Pam 111h from Angus.

After weeks of waiting, it arrived, and I loved it. Was exactly as described, arrived in a decent amount of time and all was good.

I had been looking for straps and had decided on a Micah Mouser which I was going to order next week.

On saturday, I went to put the watch on and it had stopped, as i had not worn it since Thursday this was expected. So I wound the watch fully, though it didnt take many winds to do this, and the thing is dead. I tried giving it a little shake, but nothing. I gave it a big shake, still nothing.

I have sent Angus an email, and will wait to see what he says, but I'm a bit dis-heartened at the prospect of sending it back, after the months worth of research and the month waiting for it to get here.

Question is, is there anything I can try myself to get this going? Or does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I can adjust the time easily, and when winding the resistance is still there and it does move slightly, though it is fully wound so I am not chancing winding it anymore clicks. Everything seems tight and it doesnt make any strange noises when shaken. Any ideas anyone? Is it worth opening this up myself, is there anything I could try? I have zero knowledge in watchmaking...

Thanks in advance.

Probably won't help, but I have shaken a watch that arrived in this state before, without the watch starting up. What I did was, put a two fingers together (II) and give it a couple of sturdy taps on the case back, this seemed to get things going for me on those 6497 movements. Whatever you do, don't try to wind it further.

Drulee is dead on! I have had the same thing happen. Transit for watches can be harsh, even if packaged correctly. I have had them run fine out of the box only to stop days later... As Drulee said, put the watch in your palm dial down and try a couple of sturdy taps. Hope it helps man! We have all been there. Whether it comes from a dealer or a member, it can happen.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm gonna try giving it a tap when I get home, fingers crossed that might get it going again.

Its frustrating after such a long wait, and I wanted to wear this baby on my hols, which are in a few weeks.

Oh well, I'm not the first its happened to eh, like you say Nooby!

Movements should run without needing to be tapped, banged or hit about.

Getting it to run by banging it around is either going to damage the delicate parts, or mask a problem that will only return...

If your car doesn't start, hitting it with a 10 lb maule may work, but only for a while, the pivots on the balance staff are thinner than a strand of your hair, it takes very little to bend or break them.

Click on this link for more info:

Care and feeding of mechanical movemnets

Hi, the dial of the PAMs tend to move a little bit, when you bang your watch accidentally against another object. In this case, the dial presses against the pinion of the seconds. This stops the movement alltogether. I had several goes with my local watch smith fixing this glitch. Ultimately he glued the dial to the movement in oder to secure it in place. I'd suggest you have a watch smith look at it. Cheaper and less nerve wrecking than sending it back...

The Zigmeister is also right! I never meant my comment to sound quite like it does... The movement if seated, set-up and regulated correctly should run like a top. A tap, knock or whack are no substitute for someone who has the knowledge to correctly diagnose and treat the problem.

You are 100% correct in that statement.

I find that most movements have the beat out of adjustment.

If the beat is not correct, the pallet stone will lock the escape wheel and prevent the watch from "self starting" and can even stop it randomly.

Adjusting the beat requires special tooling.

While tapping the movement may un-lock the balance and get it working again, a watch with a misadjusted beat could over bank, and it could lead to a broken impulse jewel.

So it comes down to the original statement, if it doesn't run when fully wound, have it looked at and corrected.

Again, thanks for your input everyone.

I dont have a local watchsmith, I havent managed to find someone local yet, so I guess its going to have to go back...

Im based in London, if anyone could PM me if they know a rep friendly watchsmith, though after thorough searching, I dont think they exist in London, or the U.K. for that matter!

Angus does state on his site that all watches come with a years warranty, so although its going to cost me to send it back, hopefully it can be replaced/repaired with minimum fuss. Fingers crossed...

Again, thanks for your input everyone.

I dont have a local watchsmith, I havent managed to find someone local yet, so I guess its going to have to go back...

Im based in London, if anyone could PM me if they know a rep friendly watchsmith, though after thorough searching, I dont think they exist in London, or the U.K. for that matter!

Angus does state on his site that all watches come with a years warranty, so although its going to cost me to send it back, hopefully it can be replaced/repaired with minimum fuss. Fingers crossed...

Hi Mate

I have the Angus 111e (2 years now) and the second hand came loose plus some othe rissues, Rocketeer is a watchsmith based in Milton Keynes who does a great job on PAM repairs, PM him and check my posts on the issues I had.

Good Luck Chris

Yea I have already decided to return the watch. Emailed Angus, but apparently he has gone AWOL at the mo, so emailed his partner Peter and he sent over an apology, repair form and said ship it back and they will fix it. Think I'm going to go down this route.

Thanks cmt-sutton, but after reading a few pages of that thread I dont want to chance it, especially as my watch is still under warranty.

So, next question, whats the best way to send it back? I did a bit of research, and read that registered airmail international signed for via royal mail is the safest way to go, and should cost about

Yea I have already decided to return the watch. Emailed Angus, but apparently he has gone AWOL at the mo, so emailed his partner Peter and he sent over an apology, repair form and said ship it back and they will fix it. Think I'm going to go down this route.

Thanks cmt-sutton, but after reading a few pages of that thread I dont want to chance it, especially as my watch is still under warranty.

So, next question, whats the best way to send it back? I did a bit of research, and read that registered airmail international signed for via royal mail is the safest way to go, and should cost about

I bought many watches off ebay and had to resent one recently. I sent the watch back through Royal mail. They provide you insurance to cover 150 pounds or above and only cost 8.95 pounds. BTW it only took my parcel a week to arrive and not 3-4 weeks. However, I sent the watch to the US but it shud be similar to sending it back to Asia.

speaking of problems on a 111h, i got a swiss 6497 pam111h from dsn a couple of days ago and everything looks alright but the power reserve does not seem to last very long. it loses time after 12 hours and stops after 18 hours. i give it like 30 revolutions every time i wind it. afaik a 6497 movement ought to have about 40 to 50 hours of power reserve. :wounded1:

anyone else having the same problems?