When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Chinese Tourbillon

xelorrolex

I don't know whether the one the OP posted is faux or not but there are many watches on the bay that feature Sea Gull's new real center tourbillon for about 2k. That is a real tourbillon, and when prices come down to the level of the flying tourbillon it'll be worth buying a rep powered by one. My vote for first one is of cousrse a Muller:

The one in the first post is a faux tourbillon, we had a thread about this a few months ago (Have a close look at the Dixmont):

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=4469&hl=

108968-24385.gif

Now this is a real tourbillon from Seagull:

108968-24386.jpg

As I said in that thread the tourbillon cost about $4000 so expect a big price shock. The case looks like a Breguet.

I'm having I hard time deciding if tourbillions are nice looking or ugly.

I love the technical complexity though!

I like them even if I'm not a huge fan, but since I've decided every collector needs one example of every complication to make their watch collectin complete (and have an excuse to blow cash on another watch), I'll pick one up of they put one in a watch I like.

Since, as per River's vids, it looks like the center tourbillon movements are a 1:1 swap, they ought to replace the innacurate flying tourbillons w/ the center tourbillon and a "wavy" blue hand in the Muller version they already make. Aside from the tourbillon looking a little different cosmetically (who has muller tourbillons memorized?) that would be a sweet watch.

What a great site and thread. I've already learned so much. I was ready to plunk down $800 on a "faux' tourby until I found out it was not a true center hub movement.

$2000 for a replica movement would take a lot of soul searching. There are several genuines I would love to have for this price. If we had some data on reliability etc, it might be worth the investment just to get my hands on a real one of these for 1/25th the price of a Swiss made one.

As for the utility of a tourbillon in a wrist watch, from what I have read, if you kept your wrist watch in your coat pocket all day, it might have some practical application. In a wrist watch, it's just facinating technological window dressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Vacheron et Constantin one minute tourbillon.....bright stainless steel ( white gold ) case ...silver guilloche dial with power reseve and date indicator.....Seagull one minute tourbillon......leather strap.....VC buckle.....sapphire glass.....front and back....beautiful and available.....!

115729-22795.jpg

115729-22796.jpg

115729-22797.jpg

115729-22798.jpg

115729-22799.jpg

115729-22800.jpg

115729-22801.jpg

115729-22802.jpg

115729-22803.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Check out October's Robb Report. Theres an article on Breguet's new Double Tourbillon. Awesome watch with enrgaving of exploding planets on the gears. $347,100. Its the first tourbillon I like the look of, probably because the face is symmetrical. Tourbillons are no more accurate than regular mechanical watches, but I like the labor that goes into them.

• 3 months later...