When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daily Watch

Mark Eleven

I have always like Sub, it has the classic design. It's THE watch. But recently, the Panerai bug has got hold of me. I find myself more and more attracted to Panerai design.

Would a PAM183 be a better daily watch as compared to Submariner? PAM183 has the elegance, but may be more of a good dress watch. But Sub has the classic design which I think is suitable for daily wear.

Which one would you choose as your daily watch - Sub or PAM183?

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod

For daily wear I would not get the 183, just not really a daily wear type of watch. The sub is nice, but not a great rep, plus the sub is one of the most popular gens so you would easily get spotted(or atleast easier than with another watch) I would consider a 1680 white letter sub or sd, great daily beaters and the vintage ones look better the more worn they get. Just my opinion. Good luck with your hunt, my bet says you don't get either, while your looking around you will find something you like even more.

With manual wind and crown thread issue, I don't think 183 is good for daily use.

Agreed. My daily beater is a PAM 112H from Silix, love it. However, today I have decided to wear my Rose Gold PAM 231c, which I also love but is far more dressy - and with manual wind and crown thread issue will never be my daily beater.

I keep on switching between my black sub and 111h... it drives me nuts sometimes.

Go with the sub if you want convenience of a self winder and knowing what the date is when someone ask you.

Go with the PAM if you prefer uniqueness (how many of you know people outside these forums that wear PAMs?) and if you're tired of people asking you "Is that real?".

You'll just hear them go "Wow, that's a big watch! What is it?"

"A Panerai..."

"A Pana what?"

"Never mind..."

I love the PAM because I love basic movements. They basically have a pocket watch movement... if you don't beleive me, turn the watch with the crown faced up and imagine the "12" marker is below the crown.

See what I mean... I just love old school.

I love the sub because it looks modern, great for any occasion and also the convenience of auto winder and date.

PAM because it's old school... simple as that.

You see why it drives me nuts?!

Must concur with what's already been said- The 183 doesn't make for a very practical daily wearer because of it's screw down crown and manual wind movement.

For day to day abuse, I'd have to say that a Rolex Sub, or better yet, a Rolex Explorer I makes for a much better beater.

Just my $0.02...

Cheers,

Randy