When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm a bit confused...

TeeJay

I never knew any better, so just used the title others were applying to the watch, but when I did a little research, it looks like Steve McQueen almost always wore a Sub (other than the Tag, of course):unsure: Was it a case of him advertising the watch, like Pierce Brosnan was an ambassador for Omega? Can anyone shed any light on the subject? One thing the research did tell me, which I didn't know, was what a great humanitarian he was. What an amazing guy he was, RIP, Sir :good:

Yeah, he was the poster boy for Monacos, despite apparently 'hating' the watch.

In 1969, TAG Heuer broke with tradition by creating the first square-cased, water-resistant watch in the history of watchmaking. Powered by the famous Chronomatic Calibre 11, the Monaco is also the world

Yeah, he was the poster boy for Monacos, despite apparently 'hating' the watch.

e.Steve_McQueen_Monaco.jpgtag-heuer-steve-mcqueen.jpg

I didn't know he disliked them, but on a photo I saw, taken during filming but not on set, he was still wearing his Sub :) I'd just love to know the connection to the 1655 and how it picked up his name :)

McQueen owned and wore two Rolex models, bought as new. The 5512 he bought in 1967 and wore it exclusively (as a personal piece) until be bought the 1655 around '72 +-, then that became his daily beater. But he did wear the 5512 in the movie The Hunter in '80, as shown in the center photo of 'metaljesus' 's post pics. He also wore the Monaco in the film Bullitt. I could have sworn I saw him wear the 1655 on the screen as well, but considering his filmography between the time of his death and the purchase of the Explorer that would had to have been either 'Towering Inferno' or 'The Getaway'. Serious continuity faux pas if he wore them in Papillion or Tom Horn :lol: I'm thinking the latter, The Getaway, or I am just making the case up in my head. Likely.

Anyhoo, his 5512 was sold at auction (perhaps circa '04? Hmmmm) for 234K usd it was only in 'fair' condition T'J, the bezel/case pretty beat up and was 'pearl delete'. It would be a good vintage project for you, unfortunately his No-Date had a rare vintage bracelet. The hollow mid-links were replete with twin screw screwed on on side plates. Not sure, but perhaps that feature was exclusive to another global market aside the US. My gen 6263 (of the same era) has a similar build aside the side plates are rivetted. According to Bob 'Nanuq' that is a characteristic of a UK market released piece.

Here, this should get you <started>. 850SGD, so what, 350GBP? Cheap! :lol:

Some information here at this site: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2008/7/21/steve-mcqueen-rolex-explorer-ii-1655.html

"

Steve McQueen Rolex Explorer II 1655

We all know that Tag Heuer makes a Steve McQueen version of their Monaco sport watch. It's a great looking watch, and McQueen wore the original version during the filming of the 1971 movie "Le Mans". That's all well and good but the real Steve McQueen, the man, not the man he played in the movies, wore a Rolex.

He wore a Rolex Explorer II model 1655 with an orange 24hour hand, to be exact. That particular model is now known as the "Steve McQueen Rolex" and they are extremely collectible and extremely rare. And it is for those reasons that we are featuring one for sale here on Hodinkee.com today. This one is 40mm, has a fixed bezel, and was extensively recondition in 2004 and now has a new box and Rolex documentation.

This watch is a dream watch for just about every member of the Hodinkee team, and if any of you out there have the means to buy this, we highly recommend you do so immediately. This watch will only increase in value as time goes on. Click here for the details."

Can't say I know much about the subs though. Probably just enjoyed watches

McQueen owned and wore two Rolex models, bought as new. The 5512 he bought in 1967 and wore it exclusively (as a personal piece) until be bought the 1655 around '72 +-, then that became his daily beater. But he did wear the 5512 in the movie The Hunter in '80, as shown in the center photo of 'metaljesus' 's post pics. He also wore the Monaco in the film Bullitt. I could have sworn I saw him wear the 1655 on the screen as well, but considering his filmography between the time of his death and the purchase of the Explorer that would had to have been either 'Towering Inferno' or 'The Getaway'. Serious continuity faux pas if he wore them in Papillion or Tom Horn :lol: I'm thinking the latter, The Getaway, or I am just making the case up in my head. Likely.

Anyhoo, his 5512 was sold at auction (perhaps circa '04? Hmmmm) for 234K usd it was only in 'fair' condition T'J, the bezel/case pretty beat up and was 'pearl delete'. It would be a good vintage project for you, unfortunately his No-Date had a rare vintage bracelet. The hollow mid-links were replete with twin screw screwed on on side plates. Not sure, but perhaps that feature was exclusive to another global market aside the US. My gen 6263 (of the same era) has a similar build aside the side plates are rivetted. According to Bob 'Nanuq' that is a characteristic of a UK market released piece.

Here, this should get you <started>. 850SGD, so what, 350GBP? Cheap! :lol:

Ahh, thanks for the input :) That's interesting to know that he did actually own a 1655 himself, I guess the photos available thus far, are pre 72, which would certainly make sense, given how photos of contemporary actors are often still widely seen years after they were taken... I think the 5512 would be a fairly easy vintage project, it certainly wouldn't require too much abuse. It's funny the prices a celebrity's name will attract on an item, if I recall, people were offering to buy OJ Simpson's rep Sub for the cost of the gen (just because it was his watch) but the attorneys wouldn't make the sales due to copyright issues :lol:

With regards the bracelet links, I read that he did visit the UK at one point, maybe he picked it up during the visit?

Some information here at this site: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2008/7/21/steve-mcqueen-rolex-explorer-ii-1655.html

"

Steve McQueen Rolex Explorer II 1655

We all know that Tag Heuer makes a Steve McQueen version of their Monaco sport watch. It's a great looking watch, and McQueen wore the original version during the filming of the 1971 movie "Le Mans". That's all well and good but the real Steve McQueen, the man, not the man he played in the movies, wore a Rolex.

He wore a Rolex Explorer II model 1655 with an orange 24hour hand, to be exact. That particular model is now known as the "Steve McQueen Rolex" and they are extremely collectible and extremely rare. And it is for those reasons that we are featuring one for sale here on Hodinkee.com today. This one is 40mm, has a fixed bezel, and was extensively recondition in 2004 and now has a new box and Rolex documentation.

This watch is a dream watch for just about every member of the Hodinkee team, and if any of you out there have the means to buy this, we highly recommend you do so immediately. This watch will only increase in value as time goes on. Click here for the details."

Can't say I know much about the subs though. Probably just enjoyed watches

Indeed, I came across that site, and that was what started to get me really confused, as the photos coming up on Google weren't tying up with what the site was saying :D

from wiki:

The Rolex Explorer II 2 Reference 1655, is also now so-called Rolex Steve McQueen in the horology collectors world, but the Rolex Submariner Reference 5512 he was often photographed wearing in private moments sold for $234,000 at auction on June 11, 2009, a world-record price for the reference.

Steve McQueen was also a sponsored ambassador for Heuer Watches. In the 1970 movie Lemans, McQueen famously wore a blue faced Monaco 1133B Caliber 11 Automatic which has lead to its cult status with watch collectors. This watch also sold for $87,600 at auction on June 11, 2009, a world-record for the reference. Tag Heuer continues to promote their Monaco range with McQueen