When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Safari

I wanted to start a new thread here since when the previous one went up, the cartel didn't have the updated Safari up on their sites.

With that said..

Lets take a poll here.

Who is in agreement that "as per the new pics" the updated Safari is worthy of purchase?

I would have NEVER bought the Safari, as I felt it was one of the worst reps because of the obvious flaws on the dial. With the creme colored dial, I feel it is really good and worthy of a second consideration of purchase.

I would love to hear from you guys and get a consensus of what everyone thinks...

Worthy of purchase or no?

Best,

Josh

post-18322-1250536669_thumb.jpg

post-18322-125053670172_thumb.jpg

Edited by goodfella0406

I will not buy it for 2 reasons:

1) the dial-color is pretty good allthough not seen in real....but the numbers are still wrong and black, they are supposed to be dark brown....and believe me, you can see the difference if you have ever seen a gen!

2) the rep-strap is a dead give-away, it looks far too plasticky and a gen AP hornback is 700$ new or 400$ used....hey, I can buy a complete watch for that money.

CONCLUSION: I cannot understand why the factories don

• Like 1

I will not buy it for 2 reasons:

1) the dial-color is pretty good allthough not seen in real....but the numbers are still wrong and black, they are supposed to be dark brown....and believe me, you can see the difference if you have ever seen a gen!

2) the rep-strap is a dead give-away, it looks far too plasticky and a gen AP hornback is 700$ new or 400$ used....hey, I can buy a complete watch for that money.

CONCLUSION: I cannot understand why the factories don

I'm waiting mine at the moment... :whistling:

More than the black-dark brown issue, the thing that worries me is the SS outline. It seems from some pictures I've seen there is not in the latest version. Still not sure if it is an effect of a bad picture, let's wait and see.

Okay, I might be biased since I own the original white dialed version, but I think that it's a stunning watch either way. You can increase the look of authenticity by getting the gen strap, or an equivalent hornback strap, but realistically, no amount of tinkering with the dial will fool anyone who really suspects because of the placement of the crown in relation to the pushers.

Anyone who will recognize the brown vs. black numeral color defect will already know from the placement of the crown, the relationship of the datewindow to the edge of the dial, the depth of the datewindow, the finish on the bezel screws, and the general "sub swiss" standard of finishing on the rep. It is the best finished rep that I have owned by quite a considerable margin (better than any breitling or PAM rep by far) but it is nowhere close to swiss standards.

I would get the nearly correct cream dial and enjoy it if you like the design. You won't be going into an AP shop or going to a gen AP get together any time soon no matter what they do with the numeral color which IMO doesn't impact the aesthetics of the watch.