When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Gmt Comparison

panerai153

There have been several threads recently asking about the accuracy of the replica Rolex GMT's. By-Tor has an excellent very detailed comparison and review of the GMT Master II. I am adding this as an adjunct to his great review, with some comparison photos of my genuine GMT Master and replica GMT master II. The genuine is a 1987-88 transitional model, between the 1675 and the 16700/10. the 16750 has the later fast beat movement, quickset date and the glossy dial with white gold surrounds on the indicies. It looks very much like the latest 16710 model, except it does not have the settable hour hand. With the 16750 the second time zone is read by rotating the bezel clockwise or counterclockwise the number of time zones that you are interested in. The Replica GMT Master II has a settable GMT hand. Some rep. models are available with settable hour hands same as the genuine.

my Replica GMt has been modded by RBJ so it is not stock. the crown guards have been modified a new bezel insert has been installed and the bezel tightened, watch pressure tested and waterproofed, etc. I bought another bracelet, but on reflection, the one that came with the watch is pretty good.

now here are the unfixables on this watch.

Case: the CN watchmakers use a sub case, which is incorrect for the GMT. the GMT case is thinner as can be seen in the photos.

Crown: The crown is appreciably bigger. Not a bad thing, as the genuine crown is tiny and really a PITA when setting the watch. I'm sure this could be corrected with a genuine crown, but you would need to install it at the same time the crown guards are milled. If you mill the crown guards to fit the bigger crown, the space between the crown guard and the crown would be too large.

Rehault: Thinner on the genuine

Crystal on genuine is acrylic, replica is sapphire, so you cannot compare the crystals as to height and depth.

Genuine GMT on left in all photos,

I hope this helps answer some of the questions about the accuracy of the GMT

105321-25236.jpg