When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 196 Movement Swap with Hamilton 7750?

chrono_lover

I've been lurking on here for a few months and purchased a few reps, one of which was a PAM 196 Daylight. I have instantly fallen in love with this thing, it's my first PAM and most likely won't be my last. Anyway, I managed to pick up a very nice old case version and would really like to make this thing a reliable workhorse. I have an old beat up Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono with an ETA 7750 movement in it, with a day and date wheel. Can I put that movement into the PAM 196? If so, what is the deal with the hands, I know there is a difference between the Asian and Swiss hand sizes, where can I get the proper hands?

Any help would be appreciated!

By the way, this forum is great, such a wealth of knowledge!

- Chris

that's only a work for a watchmaker profi, if you want a professional result.

not for a tinkerer / hobbyist.

rolli

I've been lurking on here for a few months and purchased a few reps, one of which was a PAM 196 Daylight. I have instantly fallen in love with this thing, it's my first PAM and most likely won't be my last. Anyway, I managed to pick up a very nice old case version and would really like to make this thing a reliable workhorse. I have an old beat up Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono with an ETA 7750 movement in it, with a day and date wheel. Can I put that movement into the PAM 196? If so, what is the deal with the hands, I know there is a difference between the Asian and Swiss hand sizes, where can I get the proper hands?

Any help would be appreciated!

By the way, this forum is great, such a wealth of knowledge!

- Chris

Rolli has it right. The movement in your 196 is a highly modded 7750 with the date put in a different via transfer gears. That is why the date on a 7750 196 is sunken, different sized and slightly off from where the original date on a 7753 is. A skilled watchsmith can do the 7750 conversion but it requires significant movement skills. So save your Khaki.