When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Angelus Movement Advice

rmcsherry

I'm after a decent PAM 203, so I'm looking to start off with finding a stem wound Angelus Calibre 240 movement. Every one I bid on, I miss by $1 - and frustratingly, an Angelus hand wound clock sold whilst I was on holiday for $23.

Before I spend a fortune on the wrong movement, does anybody have any advice? I know some of the barometer setups have key wound movements, and to be careful as there are so many angelus movements available. I've seen some Angelus movements in old Tiffany alarm clocks, are there any other brands that use them or is it pot luck? I guess finding a decent one for a low price is like finding rocking horse s**t, but I figured it's worth a go.

Finally, once I have the movement, is it going to be difficult to add a second hand at 9 and fit it to a dial with the correct hands? I'd get a jeweller to do it, but I have no experience of this kind of thing so am out of my depth. Thanks for reading.

Many of the desk clocks will have the wrong type of movt even though they are 8 days. The only sure fire way is to ask the seller to remove the caseback and show the movt. I have bought 2 angelus desk clocks and both were wrong although one of them was so nice I'm keeping it as a desk clock!!

Thanks for that - I've tried asking sellers to remove the back, but all seem very reluctant! I'll keep an eye on the one at RWI - I'm bidding on a couple at the moment so will see how they go first. Thanks again.

My local watchsmith works out of a high end antique/vintage watch and clock shop--he says you have to be very careful w/ the clocks that have angelus movements these days. Many people have figured out that the clocks were often made with various 8-day movements so may of the clocks w/ the 240 (or whatever the one Panerai uses is numbered) ave been stripped of them to sell separately and then replaced with a different movement. He also told me that the pars needed to convert them can be twice as expensive as the movement themselves.

Granted, he tries to talk me out of every major project I propose, but this info makes sense to me--Panerai has given dealers of these clocks a windfall...$20 clocks now going for $3-400.