When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UN Maxi Marine Chrono died ...

bobkat

Hello everyone,

Was hoping to get some advice regarding a UN maxi marine chrono i have. some background; i've had it for about a month. bought it from another member who hadn't worn it (still blue tap on the watch). i've used the chrono functions before this event about 40 or 50 times. Here is what happened in chronological order:

1. I started the chrono.

2. 27 minutes later (at the end of what i was timing) i stopped the chrono.

3. I hit the reset button and the seconds hand of the chrono reset to 12, but the minutes counter is stuck at 27 minutes.

4. simultaneously the running seconds hand is stuck.

5. Sometime later maybe a couple of minutes i noticed that the rotor (display back) also does not turn anymore.

So I opened up the case back and found these two pieces loose and jamming up the rotor. The wirey thing was kind of free under the rotor it was the small metal plate with pins that was holding up the rotor.

This first pic shows the two loose pieces:

dsc1753e1.jpg

This second pic shows where i think the plate should go (two holes)

dsc1750e1.jpg

This third one shows the piece in relation to those two holes.

dsc1749e1.jpg

The spring clip is easy (well sort of) to put back, it's too hard to explain in words, check the disassembly instructions below.

It's tricky to hold it with a tweezer because it fly's out and dissapears into the carpet. Watch out! I ordered 5 extra last time I bought watch parts just to decrease the stress of inserting it. It's not hard, just takes patience and a steady hand.

http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/7750/7750.html

The spring clip is easy (well sort of) to put back, it's too hard to explain in words, check the disassembly instructions below.

It's tricky to hold it with a tweezer because it fly's out and dissapears into the carpet. Watch out! I ordered 5 extra last time I bought watch parts just to decrease the stress of inserting it. It's not hard, just takes patience and a steady hand.

http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/7750/7750.html

Thank you very very much for this reply. Really appreciate it.

It looks like the spring goes on the frontside of the movement!? How did that get in the back compartment with the rotor?

It looks like the metal piece that has come loose is part of the "chronograph cam" 55.200 on the diagram you linked me on the disasembly animation.