When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Definition Please

uyopilot

I have searched and have an idea that a "Franken" is a self assembled watch from some Gen parts. I have not found a definition in both forum and web searches. Could someone please let me know if I am on the right track?

You are absolutely correct :) Although there is no hard and fast rules defining the amount of gen parts necessary, a rep with only a gen bezel insert or crown, might possibly not be referred to as a franken by the owner, where a rep with a gen dial possibly would be, and of course, once the watch has several primary gen parts, such as dial, hands, bracelet, etc, then it would definitely qualify as a franken. Welcome to the forum :good:

I have searched and have an idea that a "Franken" is a self assembled watch from some Gen parts. I have not found a definition in both forum and web searches. Could someone please let me know if I am on the right track?

That is how I always understood it.

Here is a definition of "Franken":

Franken- 

a combining form extracted from Frankenstein and used esp. before names of foods, meaning

Typically a franken is a rep that has many parts replaced with genuine. Franken Rolex Submariners, for example, often contain genuine bezel inserts, crowns, crown tubes. Sometimes genuine crystals, and less often, genuine dials. Many other frankens often do contain genuine dials, though. And the dial is perhaps the most important franken ingredient.

Personally speaking, and in my own opinion, I perceive the terms as the following:

Frankenwatch- A watch made up of genuine parts, of which the content must be around 40% or greater of the build. Personally, I feel that a genuine dial and hands are necessary parts to qualify, but each individual will have their own thoughts and opinion regarding this. I would also deem that a genuine or genuine equivalent movement is also a big plus (i.e. in the case of Breitling, a Swiss 7750 would suffice).

Modified- A watch that is largely built of rep or aftermarket content but with fine details and features improved for aesthetic purposes. Usually with aftermarket or rep dial, and with the original movement as fitted (i.e. an A7750).

The terms will vary depending on who you talk to, but that is how I would define each.