When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Experience with Joshua's Explorer 1655

guibs

1655's in general are a bit tricky. As a watch on their own, they are quite nice. If you are looking at high accuracy, ALL vintages need work (not just in weathering the watch). There are numerous threads on changing bezels, crystal changes, putting on gen Omega hands, and work on the dials.

It all depends on how accurate you want to make it or how interested you are in a project.

Bear in mind, at a watch valued in the neighbourhood of $10-15K depending on the condition and series, few will ever have seen a genuine to know the difference between them.

1655's in general are a bit tricky. As a watch on their own, they are quite nice. If you are looking at high accuracy, ALL vintages need work (not just in weathering the watch). There are numerous threads on changing bezels, crystal changes, putting on gen Omega hands, and work on the dials.

It all depends on how accurate you want to make it or how interested you are in a project.

Bear in mind, at a watch valued in the neighbourhood of $10-15K depending on the condition and series, few will ever have seen a genuine to know the difference between them.

Thanks very much for the feedback and the links to the guides. I'm actually not looking at making any changes so basically wanted to know if Joshua's would be a good out of box based on closeness to the gen and quality/reliability. I do agree that since it's vintage generally the good reps will suffice. Just from what I've read up, looks to be that for Joshua's version only the cyclops is off?

Would appreciate your further inputs on this.

Thanks very much for the feedback and the links to the guides. I'm actually not looking at making any changes so basically wanted to know if Joshua's would be a good out of box based on closeness to the gen and quality/reliability. I do agree that since it's vintage generally the good reps will suffice. Just from what I've read up, looks to be that for Joshua's version only the cyclops is off?

Would appreciate your further inputs on this.

Guibs,

It seems the stock changes from time to time on these reps, you should verify with Josh if the dial is glossy or matte? It should be matte and that will stick out more than the hands and cyclops IMO. It's a safe bet that all the date mags will be too weak on any 1655 rep so if you want to improve that a crystal swap is your best option.

Plenty of good info on the forums here if you want to mod your 1655, details of my 1655 are linked in my signature line.

Good luck!

Guibs,

It seems the stock changes from time to time on these reps, you should verify with Josh if the dial is glossy or matte? It should be matte and that will stick out more than the hands and cyclops IMO. It's a safe bet that all the date mags will be too weak on any 1655 rep so if you want to improve that a crystal swap is your best option.

Plenty of good info on the forums here if you want to mod your 1655, details of my 1655 are linked in my signature line.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the feedback! Hope you don't mind but sent you PM for further inquiries on this.