When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7753 250 in progress

Jurgenk

So I recently obtained a 7753 version of the 250

Yes I am aware of all of its flaws (more on this later).

But nothing is more satisfying than looking down and seeing a huge date (even in the wrong thin font) without obstruction from the datewindow or a shadow, and being able to advance the date with the 10 o'clock pusher. The 7753 movement is like a dream, everything about this watch is silky smooth. Straight from guangzhou it is running at COSC standards (+3 sec/day) without any finagling. Makes me want to never buy an A7750 watch again.

I cannot wait to make a few important changes to this watch. By the time I am done the only thing left from this watch will be the movement...

IMAGE_013.jpg

Now the flaws:

The watch is actually nicely finished, and looks nearly swiss quality-- That's the frustrating thing about it, it is finished well, but it has so many flaws at the same time. Looking at the watch, you would say it looks great, and I don't want to discourage anyone from buying the 7753 version of this watch, mind you, it actually is impressive to hold and wear.

Some have asked me to enumerate its flaws. I will do this and list some pros too:

Pros: lugs very nicely finished, brushed surfaces sanded crisply like gen PAMs, not wavy like they just came out of the stamping machine and then sloppily brushed

Bezel sides polished like the gen, front brushed/sanded nicely

CG is very thick, there is potential to refinish the front to the compound curve of the gen

Cons: Lugs too short to accept standard bracelets, some thicker straps may rub against the case

Tachymetre is wrong for this watch, font of bezel markings is too deep and too bold, front surface of bezel is too wide, bezel markings are too far from the edge of the bezel, and the sapphire on 7753 watch is smaller in diameter than a standard issue PAM Luminor case as a result

bezel is not tall enough, this combined with shallow caseback make this watch less tall than gen

Crown is thick but has 36 ridges, gen has 48

Caseback is also shallow like the bezel relative to the gen watch, and has a phantom case marking without serial

This could also be a pro for someone with access to laser engraving

Dial has no recesses for subdials

Subdial hands have lume markings shaped incorrectly, shape of subdial hands is too narrow, not bulbous enough

shape of case is not as asymmetric as other luminor cases (with the CG off the watch should look like the left side of the case is too big compared to the right, but then balanced with the CG. This case looks nearly symmetric withe CG removed)

Datewheel has the wrong thin font.

Chrono pushers are too small. They should line up perfectly with the outside edge of the crown on the gen.

Sapphire is nicely domed, but has too much blue AR and too much distortion of the dial front

Dial is poorly lumed as are the hands

The hour chrono accumulator numerals (12 3 6 9) are not lumed on any rep, and I have yet to find any luming professional who will tackle this on the rep dial. Luckily we have a gen dial for that purpose, see below

The lettering on the dial is completely off, looks completely not gen, even the 7750 is a vast improvement. Wrong font, too tall in proportion, an instant tell.

And this is just for starters...

I am trying to build an uber franken 250 with this, and I have a total of four different cases to work with. In a later post I will detail the pluses and negatives of each case and its components (bezel, CG, crown, crowntube, caseback, sapphire)

In addition to these case options, I have a few gen parts in hand (including this below) I just need that DW (Waiting on some help from Leo at RG, but would take a Lello 7753 4 o'clock dial too). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DSC_0346.JPG