When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I've never owned a chronograph

P4GTR

Never owned a Panerai replica either. Just can't get with it. Back in the day a member coined the phrase " Ah Panerai, a hamburger on a strap". That clicked with me and I haven't felt differently all these years. The dials, they just look like those telephones old folk have; the ones with huge oversized numbers and key pads.

Remember back in the old RWG when the PAM craze was at its hottest.

Someone came up with "I don't like PAM".

then there were 20 replies like

"You just haven't tried one".

"When you try one, you will be hooked."

"It's impossible to NOT like one. Just put it on."

then you replied like "Yeah I've tried one but it did nothing for me."

the next replies were like

"How long did you have it on? Only 10 minutes? That's not enough. If you wore it for an hour, you'd be hooked already."

"I hated them at first, but now I own 70."

"Give it time. You will end up as a PAM lover. Mark these words".

It was almost "politically incorrect" to NOT own/love a PAM. :D Nothing has changed for me in 5 years. I still don't like them. But that doesn't mean they aren't cool watches... just not for me.

Another thing that I just don't like are the leather straps. For me the watch must be on a steel bracelet. I bought Ebel BTR with a leather strap. I liked it but wasn't "crazy" about it. But when I bought and installed a bracelet I loved it immediately. Maybe that's the biggest beef with PAMs for me as well. The bracelet versions like Regatta Chrono don't look bad at all.

It was almost "politically incorrect" to NOT own/love a PAM.

I know! It was crazy. It was like cult zeitgeist. It started to creep me out. Noobs would register and start topics like; "Panerai, I don't get it (help a newb understand)......" Then a three page mind bend as you described, and the next thing you know the noob had bought five in six months and was waiting on a vintage California dial and swan neck regulator. It was like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but instead of falling alseep to be cloned, you just had to wear a PAM for ten minutes. All free will gone. Poof. Just like that. Stack up those pods like chord wood.

But sure, yeah, give me a gen 187 on rubber? I'd be all over that.

I know! It was crazy. It was like cult zeitgeist. It started to creep me out. Noobs would register and start topics like; "Panerai, I don't get it (help a newb understand)......" Then a three page mind bend as you described, and the next thing you know the noob had bought five in six months and was waiting on a vintage California dial and swan neck regulator. It was like Invasion of the Body Snatchers

:p

Yes yes, the RWG1 PAMAFIA! As soon as I got the innevitable Sub out of the way, BAM! the strong arming was in full effect and then came my 177H. Quick like.

Don't get me wrong, I like the watch, heck even sometimes love it. Its very photogenic, too. But theres those MONTHS where I want nothing of it. Just this morning I thought "I'd like a 111, I want a "shiny" Pam too." But I just don't see the point in doling out funding for another watch thats basically the same thing.

I always thought BCE would be pretty much perfect if it was all brushed steel. For some reason the highly polished Breitling bracelet is hmm... I don't like it. Other than that, the watch is amazing.

I have several chronos and wore my HBB yesterday, but fine myself wearing simple pam watches most I.E. 127, 6497 a 341 EGI 111, 172. I think it is due tonthe ease of vision,

simplicity and nonj clutter. One thing I don't own a a bucket of plutonium. That could make for a lively glow in the dark night on the town. :bicycle: