When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sterilizing a 5517 dial

beebjunk

it seams to me that it's much more easy to swap the dial than to do a redial.

Doing a redial needs a lot of talent and expertise.

Swapping is just sourcing a dial for that movement, and then a mater of having the rigth tool

It may not be the easyest thing to do if you never done it, but there is plenty of tutorial on the forum...

just my 0.2$

Gen 5517's are hovering around the six figure range for a correct and original example. They're somewhat rare, as many had been converted back to standard 5513's. Gen collectors have a fairly tight knit network and communicate their findings and discoveries, so many are well versed in the existing pieces out there and in whose hands they currently reside.

Back in the mid 80's these pieces could be purchased for just a few dollars per tray per dozen. Many of them were retrofitted with non-Mil gen 5513 parts and sold on in the secondary market.

Ah, I seeeee... Bargain! lol

Sounds like what I've read about the older models too, like the reds and double reds(?) - Rolex services and replaces parts it thinks needs doing, which means that the original models become rarer!

Actually... now I think about it... Could this be an intentional act by Rolex?!? :huh:

Edited by Member X

Well, there is currently only one RSC that the 5517 connoisseurs rely on to service and authenticate; they know well enough to leave these watches as original as possible. However, if a part is deemed as a potential risk to the longevity and function of a movement (i.e. crumbling tritium), they would advise the replacement of those parts.

The retrofitting of old parts in this case wasn't really an RSC initiative; rather, private dealers and the sort bought what they could when these pieces were sold off at ridiculously cheap prices. Back in this era, Mil spec watches really didn't have the following that they do today, so most were converted for sake of having a sellable product. Little would they know that a few decades following these pieces would command the prices that they do now.