When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Glue questions?

gasdoc

If I am gluing down a pearl or a bezel insert or the like I always use "contact cement" such as Pliobond.

I realize that this name is a moving target worldwide and I'm sorry I don't have a better fix on it.

I learned it in camera repair many years ago. I don't think I would ever use super glue on a watch on any occasion.

The best part about contact cement is that it is permanent if you want it to be and temporary if you want it to be.

Carl

I'd go with 2-part epoxy. Super glue can have any number of bad effects on surrounding parts. Gorilla glue is great, but it foams and expands while drying.

My second option would be Shoe Goo. That stuff sticks to almost anything, stands up to elements, and it extremely strong. As a plus, it's not as permanent as epoxy.

I used to manufacture inexpensive jewelery. I used E-6000 adhesive to bond the stone balls (onyx, malachite, jade, etc.) to the findings. E-6000 is a styrene based adhesive; it maintains a small amount of flexibility (unlike the glues you listed) and it bonds very strongly (much stronger than silicone based adhesives). It is widely used in the jewelery business.

You can find small tubes of this stuff at hobby stores (Michael's , etc.) or you can order it on-line.

See: http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000Industrial.htm

It excels at bonding smooth surfaces together. Before it fully cures, the excess can be stripped away with your fingernail (wait until it gets fairly solid before doing this--it will behave like rubber cement at that time.)