When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Noob

Guest OrenG

Hello,

It's my first time being on these forums and I've hopefully come to the right place. I've been researching replica Rolexes and I was almost duped into going with one of the rip off sites because of several rip off review sites. But after visiting the Replica Watch Report I stumbled upon this forum. So here's the deal, I'm looking for an all Gold with blue dial Submariner. I found This one but it is from one of those rip off sites. I'll use that as the example for what I'm looking for.

I've also searched the forum and found various guides for buying, but most if not all the links to other topics are dead.

Where can I find one in CA,USA or online?

-Thanks,

OrenG

Edited by OrenG

Generally an all gold sub wont be a very convincing replica. I would suggest a TT Sub which you can buy from Bk. Look in the "collectors" section and you will see a section for Bk. Send him a message and he will advise you from there. Go with a swiss eta movement and also get all the fantastic mods that Bk offers. With all this you will in the end have a very convincing rep sub that with care will last you a very long time.

All gold ones can be alright...but they won't be solid gold unless you get some of the small limited run ones that do exist...but they cost thousands as a rep. The big issue is the weight is way off. The gold ones are hefty if you've ever worn one...really heavy!! The all gold rep will feel like a SS sub really. It will look fine though.

Search in the Rolex section to see if there are any reviews of them. There are some good TT Subs and GMTIIs out...again...you'll have to search for reviews in the Rolex area. The recommended dealers to order stock from are listed HERE.

There are some issues with gold wearing down with heavy everyday use...how long a time frame I'm not sure about.

Good luck...keep us posted on what you find...and welcome to the forum. Read the Noob Guide linked in my sig to get you started.

All gold ones can be alright...but they won't be solid gold unless you get some of the small limited run ones that do exist...but they cost thousands as a rep. The big issue is the weight is way off. The gold ones are hefty if you've ever worn one...really heavy!! The all gold rep will feel like a SS sub really. It will look fine though.

Search in the Rolex section to see if there are any reviews of them. There are some good TT Subs and GMTIIs out...again...you'll have to search for reviews in the Rolex area. The recommended dealers to order stock from are listed HERE.

There are some issues with gold wearing down with heavy everyday use...how long a time frame I'm not sure about.

Good luck...keep us posted on what you find...and welcome to the forum. Read the Noob Guide linked in my sig to get you started.

Prowatch-Polo seems to have one at a good price. I'll talk to BK about a quote.

I've been reading the forums and I've seen topics about various mods that can be performed. Does the sub in docs link need to be modded in any way?

I also have an extremely noobish question about I suppose all watches with clicking bezels. What is the significance of a bezel having 120 clicks? As well as what effect does rotating the Bezel have on the watch?

Edited by OrenG

I've been reading the forums and I've seen topics about various mods that can be performed. Does the sub in docs link need to be modded in any way?

I also have an extremely noobish question about I suppose all watches with clicking bezels. What is the significance of a bezel having 120 clicks? As well as what effect does rotating the Bezel have on the watch?

The full gold Rolexes are not your best bet for authenticity. The color of the gold is off as per the gen and you mod platted gold. You could replace the bezel insert and the pearl, and maybe get it relumed, but that's about it. In general, rep watches are poorly lumed, although it's changing for the better. Also, even though this watch showed no wear on the gold at all when I sold it, it's probably best not to wear a gold rep every day. I clean the gold surfaces at the end of every day I wear them.

All this aside, if you like gold, as I do, these reps are fun to own and even though the gold is 100% the right color, 99.9% of the population would never know.

The full gold Rolexes are not your best bet for authenticity. The color of the gold is off as per the gen and you mod platted gold. You could replace the bezel insert and the pearl, and maybe get it relumed, but that's about it. In general, rep watches are poorly lumed, although it's changing for the better. Also, even though this watch showed no wear on the gold at all when I sold it, it's probably best not to wear a gold rep every day. I clean the gold surfaces at the end of every day I wear them.

All this aside, if you like gold, as I do, these reps are fun to own and even though the gold is 100% the right color, 99.9% of the population would never know.

would something like this work? I've been eying the 12+ hour paint. Would the paint be applied on top or under the pearl?

would something like this work? I've been eying the 12+ hour paint. Would the paint be applied on top or under the pearl?

I just read this "diver's watches w/ rotating bezels contain a ratchet as a safety feature, allowing rotation in one direction only. If the bezel is bumped while diving, it shortens the time, thereby preventing the diver from believing he has more time (air supply) left than he really does."

Makes me feel really stupid now..

Welcome aboard Oren. Don't forget that a rep is still a rep, no matter how good you try to make it. In other words, it is still a FAKE.

On the other hand, this is a great hobby, and a fun place to learn more about watches, no matter which brand you choose. You'll also have the opportunity to meet some of the most enthusiastic and knowledgeable rolex collectors.

As far as the gold rolexes go, I would only recommend buying the best, and then perhaps modifying the insert/pearl, and maybe the crown/tube.

In all honesty though, you're better off saving your money and buying a gen.

You can't paint a pearl, or rather, you shouldn't. You buy a different one that lumes better.

I take it that I don't understand what pearl actually means, it's not a real pearl is it?

I see that they make tritium ones, so is it some sort of glass bead that holds a luminescent substance?

I take it that I don't understand what pearl actually means, it's not a real pearl is it?

I see that they make tritium ones, so is it some sort of glass bead that holds a luminescent substance?

on http://www.jpc8118.com, what is the difference between:

RLSF01003 FG 2008 Submariner FG Blue Swiss Eta 2836

RLSF10002 Full Gold Blue Dial Swiss Eta 2836-2 Updated

?

The newer one is fashioned after the 50th Anniversary GMT, meaning it has a bigger case with those "square" crown guards, "outie" pearl, and new clasp. This watch has not yet been released by Rolex, to the best of my knowledge. The older one is based on the current Rolex model.

I had one of the new GMTs and I like the look a lot. I'm thinking about getting one of Josh's newer Subs, with the bigger case, etc. Not the FG you linked, but the two-tone model. Looks damn good to me!

The newer one is fashioned after the 50th Anniversary GMT, meaning it has a bigger case with those "square" crown guards, "outie" pearl, and new clasp. This watch has not yet been released by Rolex, to the best of my knowledge. The older one is based on the current Rolex model.

I had one of the new GMTs and I like the look a lot. I'm thinking about getting one of Josh's newer Subs, with the bigger case, etc. Not the FG you linked, but the two-tone model. Looks damn good to me!

So if I replace the pearl I'll want to get the SS pearl?

Pearls

Here I have two photo sets comparing Full Gold Blue dial Subs; Josh's vs. Prowatch-Polo's.

20096810554178.jpg4.jpg

2.jpg20096810529888.jpg

5.jpg20096810523369.jpg

I don't know about anyone else but, I think Josh's looks much better.

Edited by OrenG

Even the model used for photos is defective. Bezel inserts coming out of the bottom half. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

5.jpg

The pearls look like they're ready to POP when squeezed.

I'd go with Josh's for sure.

The one you have pictured there is Josh's I don't know if you confused them or if the defective bezel is a good thing...

Edited by OrenG

Alright well when I get it I will have to do some modding, which should be fun. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

One question I have is how do you re-lume the dial "pearls?" ?

Looks like I'll be ordering the watch from Josh, and the Box set from Pro-watch polo.

Josh doesn't seem to want to budge about changing out stock items. For example he won't give me a sub booklet with a boxset if I order a sub it automatically comes with a datejust booklet.

Prowatch-Polo Lu is more then happy to give extra hologram stickers, the appropriate booklets, extra hang tags, cleaning cloths and so on and so forth for free with the box set (which isn't free but he allows customization.)

Edited by OrenG