When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Power reserve movements

pdnb

How do you compare the ETA and soprod PR module (DSN 27/28/57) and whatever the low cost Asian PR movement that is used on $100 PR watches (like at getat?) I am assuming that the PR indicator does work properly on the other Asian movement. I think most on the forum think that Asian built 6497s are really robust and that there is a blur of Asian and Swiss for the 6497.

Will the asian PR movements crap out on you or are they legit as well? Let me know what the real considerations are between the two.

Thanks!

pdnb

swiss made is swiss quality and asia made is asia quality.

there is a big difference in terms of material and processing quality.

it need no explanation.

rolli

How do you compare the ETA and soprod PR module (DSN 27/28/57) and whatever the low cost Asian PR movement that is used on $100 PR watches (like at getat?) I am assuming that the PR indicator does work properly on the other Asian movement. I think most on the forum think that Asian built 6497s are really robust and that there is a blur of Asian and Swiss for the 6497.

Will the asian PR movements crap out on you or are they legit as well? Let me know what the real considerations are between the two.

Thanks!

pdnb

There some good Asian movements out there...but the Asian PR movements like on the UN MMD, IWC 7 days and what not are pretty low cost models...costing <$15-20 to replace, so they can't be compared with in quality to a gen Swiss with the Soprod module. The Asian repair approach is rip and replace, whereas the ETA would be a service and rebuild.

If you can source the PR movements, they can be the best value as it only costs a few bucks to replace the movement when it fails...rather then $100's of dollars to maintain an ETA. It depends on the quality and reliability you need.

There some good Asian movements out there...but the Asian PR movements like on the UN MMD, IWC 7 days and what not are pretty low cost models...costing <$15-20 to replace, so they can't be compared with in quality to a gen Swiss with the Soprod module. The Asian repair approach is rip and replace, whereas the ETA would be a service and rebuild.

If you can source the PR movements, they can be the best value as it only costs a few bucks to replace the movement when it fails...rather then $100's of dollars to maintain an ETA. It depends on the quality and reliability you need.

I assume they work in exactly the same manner, correct? I.E., the asian version is to Swiss as eta clones are to true eta movements?

At a HIGH level they work the same in terms of ALL mechanical movements at some level working the same, but the design on the movements is different.

An Asian clone of an ETA 2824/2836 is a copy though...but with tolerances and machining being slightly different, OEM parts from ETA may or may not work when replacing them. They look the same and operate the same though...and can be difficult to tell apart without knowing what to look for (different hole drilling on one of the wheels).

When we say "Swiss" we generally mean "ETA" movements as that is what is used 99% of the time (the only exception for the most part being Selita movements and the occasional Angelus or other rare Franken project movement). So, there is either Swiss aka ETA and the copies of these, OR generic Asian movements.