When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken Crown

Mercury

the crown snapped off my Omega PO and I would like to know what to do? Who can fix it or what parts do I need to fix it?

Thank You

most of us have swapped for the genuine tube and crown .. the rep crown does not last long..

you can order it from Ofrei I don't have the part number off hand .. someone will have it though.. pm 'Vac' he is one of the mods that is here in the mod section.. ZM is booked until the year 3000 me thinks..

AC

L

I will probably do that sometime soon. The crown popped off but everything else was fine. The stem (tube ) came out too so I managed to push the crown back in the hole with a little bit a glue so hope it holds until I get a new one. Thanks lani

Edited by Mercury

I'm a little lost what you need.

There is a stem (long thin stick) which is screwed onto the crown. The crown slides through a tube (like a small collet) that is pressed/screwed/glued into the case. Do you have all 3 parts? You need the stem to operate the mechanics of the movement (time and date setting, winding, etc). The crown is merely the handle to the stem and seals the insides from the outside. The tube is part of the system seal and allows securing of the crown to the case.

If you were able to push the crown back on, did it snap off the stem, or merely unscrew from the stem? If the latter, you can just screw it back in holding the stem with a pair of small pliers, and maybe putting Loctite on the threads to old it onto the stem...then just re-install the stem to the movement and you're back in business.

If the stem broke off, you need a new stem but may be able to salvage the crown by dissolving the stem bit in allum if you can't pinch it off (see Francisco's tutorial on this in his section on the forum).

You replace the crown/tube generally because the threads have stripped and the crown can't be screwed in anymore, you don't like the rep crown, or you lost the crown.

If you're in Canada, get the parts from H.W. Perrin.

Ok you can fix this. Well I don't know if you want to do it but it can. Take off the back. Stick a screwdriveer in the tube and push the stem in all the way. Unscrew the movement holder and take it out. Then remove the internals by tilting them at an angle. Then you are free to release the stem. From there all you need is a new one. Probably a new head too unless you can get that piece out.