When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Kinetic Auto Relay

Talexom

Hi All,

First may I say I am thoroughly enjoying reading the many articles on this site. It is fascinating that there are so many people who find replica watches a subject of such passion and I am amazed at the depth of knowledge and interest which surrounds it. I hope I dont get as hooked as some of you seem, LOL :)

I am biding my time looking at watch makes and models before deciding what and with whom my first purchase will be, so in the meantime I have a question on movements.

I own a Seiko kinetic auto-relay watch (that has seen better days and I am hoping to clean it up). Its kinetic (which I guess is Seiko's term for "automatic" but please tell me if Im missing something there), but also "auto-relay" which means even after 4 years if it has not been worn, you can shake it and it will set itself to the time it would have shown had it been worn every day. Naturally after a week it remains pretty accurate though after 4 years I would expect it to have a longer period of time loss/gain.

My question is;-

Is this unique to Seiko ? If not, is it available in any replica watches / movements ?

Thanks in advance.

First, I don't know of any reps available with Seiko Kinetic movements.

The Kinetic movement technology is a Seiko patent but the idea behind it - generating electricity to power a watch movement by "non-battery" means - is also used by other manufacturers like Citizen (Eco Drive).

Hi @specialvat - Thats some impressive change, though when I read your post I imagined it would come back looking the same as before rather than coated in black - is that what they refer to as PVD ? It looks great. Only downside is losing the numbers on the outer case but I am sure that doesn't worry you. Mine does not have numbers so would not be a problem. Not sure I want to turn it black though either.

I have been quoted NZ$240 for a new sapphire crystal (cos it has a silver dome attached on the inside which covers the hand stack spindle, sorry dont know the right name for it). Then new bracelet would be about the same and re-polish the case.

Actually I reckon the crystal could be fixed with diamond polish and the bracelet and case could be re-polished but it needs to be a matte finish. Is Avitt the kind of guy who could do that sort of thing ? I presume he is a member on here as you referred to him ?

Cheers.

Avitt is the man, he can refinish cases by bead blasting them. My watch is DLC'd lot harder than PVD, look up the terms on the search you'll see lots of happy people. My case was battered and the numbered bezel was scratched, so DLC was fine for me. Avitt is a great guy shoot him a P.M. if you have any questions.