When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Friendly Jewelers?

Does anyone know any rep friendly rolex repair guys in nyc?

Please let me know

You just need to call around. IME the problem isn't finding a "rep friendly" jeweler, it's finding a competent jeweler. None of them turn business away, but alot of them aren't very good. I like to find a small independently owned shop by a guy who has been a watchsmith for many years. In my town, I found a guy who has accounts with most of the bigger jewelery shops, mall shops, etc. When people bring watches in to these shops for repair, these shops send the watches out to him.

Bezel work shouldn't be too hard. You might even be able to do it yourself. There is lots of advice on the board on how to remove and reinstall bezels. If you still feel more comfortable having someone else work on it, I wouldn't worry too much because to fix a bezel they should have no reason to go inside the watch itself -- unless perhaps you ask them to inspect the movement or similar.

I like to use minor repairs to evaluate repair shops in case I need a major repair --> even though I trust them for a minor repair, how would I feel about them doing more significant surgery on one of my prizes? So I have one guy near home that I would only use for minor work, and a second shop farther away whom I would go to for more substantial repairs.

Sorry, these are on the West coast.

thats what i'm trying to avoid, cause basically i think i just need a bearing but in the bezel for my MBW sub, its moving to loose, and i would hate to see someone ruin my pride and joy for something that simple

Tell me what kind of MBW Suib you have?

Modern or classic?

Rg Tribal

I brought a MBW 1680 to a watchsmith on Bowery to replace the crystal with a genuine 127 crystal.

well, you guess what. This guy put the crystal with the mag window at 12 minutes instead of 15. He also made a few scratches on the brand new crystal. Hell, the crystal is like $50.

He is either blind or he simply doesn't care. Quoted, "This is a fake and I don't understand why are you putting a new crystal on it. The original crystal looks the same to me. I actually spent 2 hours to put the metal part back."

I had to pay $25 to get my watch back and eventually I replaced a new crystal myself. I only spent 15 minutes.

Wasted $75!