When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling crown and stem has popped out, advice please putting back in

kasigi

Hi.

I've got a Breitling SOSF which I've had for a couple of years, it was one of the early "Super Reps". It's been serviced, regulated, lumed etc and it's been my daily wear for ages.

The problem I have is that I went to adjust it a while ago and the entire crown and stem just pulled out. It's always been very tight to screw the crown back in but now it's just out.

It's been so long since I got it that I can't even remember exactly what the movement is, but as a picture tells a thousand words, here's a picture...

post-678-125451784386_thumb.jpg

I've not no watchsmiths near me, is there any way I can easily put the stem back in? I'm afraid I'm a complete layman when it comes to this sort of thing but I'm willing to give it a try with instructions.

I'd hate for this watch to end up just sitting in the box because of this problem, so please, can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Edited by kasigi

It looks like a Selita SW200 movement. It's essentially an ETA 2824. If the keyless works aren't botched, you should just be able to reinsert it, turning slowly while pressing in the stem in a tightening (clockwise) direction. With an A7750 movement, you have to press the stem release button while you reinsert the stem, but you shouldn't have to on the SW 200.

From HERE:

"...quite the contrary. imho the 2824 has possibly the pickiest keyless works i have ever dealt with. anytime a movement is giving me an issue with stem re-insertion I usually try this: Try pressing down on the stem release button when re-inserting it all while giving the stem an every so gentle twist. This usually helps you realign the stem with the sliding pinion. hope that helps"

...this is not likely the proper way, as from what I understand, the Sellita does not have the stem release button pressed on re-insertion.

Any watchmaker should be able to reinsert it for you...it's a Swiss movement...so no worry about them needing to be rep-friendly...just tell them you have a Sellita SW 200 that needs a stem reinsertion if you have to do it.

You can go to SELLITA for technical info on the movement.

Good luck.

I have tried the turning while holding in but it hasn't worked - It either just turns continually or the thread catches and it starts screwing down. In my limited knowledge from reading here over the years, the words 'keyless works' and 'stem release button' did spring to mind.

I've tried to find watchmakers near me, there simply are none. The only ones are the battery changing and link changing types :(

Looks like an ETA movement (2824-2 or 2836-2).

What I found is that simply pushing the crown in doesn't work most of the time. However, if you are slowly tuning the crown clockwise while your're pushing it in, it eventually snaps in past the locking spring.

So try that. Don't force it, but you still have to apply some pressure.

Looks like an ETA movement (2824-2 or 2836-2).

Look at the SW200 stamping...it's the Sellita SW 200...which is a clone of the 2824-2...HAH HAH...a Swiss clone of the Swiss movement. Oy...will wonders never cease.

When you first insert the stem, you need to turn slowly as you start pushing it in. You should feel some parts start to engage when the stem gets properly aligned with the gears of the works. When you feel contact/engaging, that's when you push in a little more and turn.

If you push in and turn before the stem is engaged in the gears, you'll just reach the thread matching between crown and tube and screw the crown on...you need to engage the stem with the gears.

At least you're getting it to the time setting position...play around with it for a bit...don't force anything, you might not have it in the right position quite yet. I'm no watchsmit...so hopefully some of the more experienced folks can chime in and answer this with better technological understanding than I!!

• 3 weeks later...