When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anybody have an extra $100,000 lying around?

Nanuq

Ralph McAllister built an amazing train set in the 50s and 60s in Boulder, Colorado. Mac's work was absolutely unsurpassed, and I've found a site where his hand built Mallet 4-8-8-4 is for sale. It's a "large" scale, and at 32' long and 18,800 lbs it's a velvet hammer. I'm taller than the stacks at the front. It's a Michaelangelo wrought in iron, if there ever was such a thing. Every piece was made by hand.

I think his "train set" should be in a museum somewhere. So who's got an extra $100,000 to make it happen? :tu:

Mac's Mallet 4-8-8-4

Rest in Peace, Mac.

OMG! That is stunning. 27 feet! 100 grand is razy cheap. You could not build that for twice that let alone have it built for you. One of my alltime favorite locos from one of my favorite railroads too. I remember this apearing in Trains many years ago. Irealy must get around to sorting and indexing all my mags.

Where trhe hell would you run it tho? It needs to be running but you would need a lot of space, not just your average garden railway. What's the guage on that thing?

Nanuq: I have a half completed G scale WP&Y cabose at dad's waiting for me to have a spare 3 or 400 hours to finish it.

All I gotta do then is perfect G scale icicles and snow.

Col.

Ralph McAllister built an amazing train set in the 50s and 60s in Boulder, Colorado. Mac's work was absolutely unsurpassed, and I've found a site where his hand built Mallet 4-8-8-4 is for sale. It's a "large" scale, and at 32' long and 18,800 lbs it's a velvet hammer. I'm taller than the stacks at the front. It's a Michaelangelo wrought in iron, if there ever was such a thing. Every piece was made by hand.

I think his "train set" should be in a museum somewhere. So who's got an extra $100,000 to make it happen? :tu:

Mac's Mallet 4-8-8-4

Rest in Peace, Mac.

I hate having to prioritize between things like buying a train and putting an addition on the house, dammit!!!

Trailboss, you're right it does need to run. He built a set of tracks, a garage and a turntable on his property. And this isn't the only piece he built, I have photos of my brother next to a coal burning steam locomotive and coal car that Mac built, and he's taller than the stack. Just lovely work.