When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Low-Beat 3717 for a 7750 Swap?

Gatchaman

ETA Day wheels will not fit the older A7750 which is a popular upgrade. Due to all the variations in the sizes of the hands between different A7750's, it's not a DIY project without the tooling and skill.

If I wanted to purchase a 3717 that could eventually have its movement replaced with a Swiss 7750, which one would you suggest? The one with the low-beat movement or the high-beat Asian 7750 clone? If the Asian 7750 is a true clone, then the stems should be the same to that of its Swiss counterpart, no?

Edited by Gatchaman

Sorry, Zigmeister, but nothing you've told me has made any sense.

In your first response you said, "ETA Day wheels will not fit the older A7750 which is a popular upgrade."

I don't want to mod the cheap Asian movement. I want to replace it with a gen Swiss ETA 7750.

All I want to know is which incarnation of the 3717 should I buy, the cheaper 3717 based on the low-beat 7750 or the high-beat (and still Asian) 7750? I plan to take out whichever 7750-copy and replace it with a genuine Swiss ETA 7750 movement.

We're talking about 3 different movements here:

• Asian low-beat 7750

• Asian high-beat 7750

• Swiss 7750

Which of the Asian movements would require less modifications to the hands (i.e. broaching) for this type of swap?

:g:

Edited by Gatchaman

Well, the complicated matter of all this is that there are some so-called low beat 21600bph A7750's that have the same pinions of the highbeat 28800bph A7750's. Not all are created equal, but rather from whatever parts are available I'd imagine. You just won't know which you have until you try fitting the hands on the Swiss ETA.

The long and short of it all is- No matter which you have, Zig can modify the hands to fit a Swiss 7750 if it's necessary. He did it on my 3717 when I swapped out to Swiss.

• 1 month later...

V2 and V3 all use the same movement. The major differences are the dials, and the AR quality on the crystal.

V3 is better than the V2; V2 has all of the hour indicies lumed, which is incorrect; only the 12:00/3:00/6:00/9:00 indicies should be lumed. V1 is better than the V3 as the indicies can be removed and new markers can be created.

Movements in all are the A7750; slow beat, high beat or hybrid between the two. No telling what they might put in it, as the factories likely use whatever they have available to them while assembling.

Yeah, mine started as a V1; one of the original EL 100.

My watch has:

-Genuine IWC dial

-Genuine hands

-Swiss ETA 7750

-Swiss DD wheels (Day is in German :) )

-Chief AR

No other mods. Might swap to a gen movement sometime down the road; I've got other IWC's to work on for the time being, however ;)

I have to say that the 3717 has become one of my all time faves...