When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A little fixup for the $43 GMT Master II

jmb

A while ago I posted one of my budget "finds" which was a "Pepsi" GMT Master II and the majority of the feedback seemed to be centered around the fact that it had a Sub band and the crown was freakin' huge. I tried to do something about that this evening and I'm surprised at how a couple little items can change the total character of a watch.

The first thing I did was to change the crown tube and crown from the overgrown 7 mm Submariner style "Triplock" to the more correct 6 mm "twin lock". Once people pointed out to me how huge the original crown was I agreed, it looked horrible! Kinda like a zit, it just stuck out and the more I looked at it the worse it looked to the point that I only wore it for one day and it went into the drawer! I'll let y'all be the judge:

front%203.JPG

l%20front%201.JPG

r%20front%201.JPG

r%20front%202.JPG

right.JPG

r%20front%203.JPG

Second "upgrade" - I changed the band. I didn't have a "proper" late model GMT band but I did have a couple new style solid end-link Datejust II bands (I think that's what they are) so off came the Sub band and on went one of these:

rear%201.JPG

rear%202.JPG

rear%203.JPG

This is still a long way from being correct, and probably never will be but I think this makes it a bit more presentable. People also mentioned that they thought the cyclops "just didn't look right", still trying to look at pictures and figure out what I need to do about that. So, I think the next thing on the agenda will be to put the CGs on a bit of a diet, not too much, just slim 'em down a tad...

Oh, y'all let me know what you think of the crown as I might want to lay in a stock of them while I can.

Hey, having fun and now know how to change a tube and crown and size and fit stem so el-cheapo has served the purpose I bought it for - plus it keeps good time!!

This style, and new Daytona, are the only styles I have extras of, but I'm still looking! How does the crown look? I think it looks a bit more correct than most of the rep crowns I've seen and I may order a few more. I just want to make sure that it's not a wasted $20 for crown and tube.

Hey J!

If you could take time and take shots of the Tube/Crown replacement process next time, then we could follow! Like a tutorial, you know~! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Looking good! You're frankens are inspiring!

F-

I have a goal of keeping all of them under $100. Right now I have about $60 ($43 for watch and about $20 for crown and tube) into this one.

If you guys will give me either a thumbs up or down on this crown I will order some 7mm versions if it is OK and I'll take a few snaps when I install it onto the "No-date" Sub project I'm working on.

I have a goal of keeping all of them under $100. Right now I have about $60 ($43 for watch and about $20 for crown and tube) into this one.

If you guys will give me either a thumbs up or down on this crown I will order some 7mm versions if it is OK and I'll take a few snaps when I install it onto the "No-date" Sub project I'm working on.

Go for it, Dude~! I, for one would like to see that! I love frankens!

No frankens in the works right now just taking extremely low price reps and "upgrading" them with easy and cheap mods to make them look not quite so obvious. Do you think the crown I used in this GMT is reasonably close in shap to a gen crown? Several of my cheap subs that will be used in my projects have rather blocky crowns so if this one is a good copy and reasonably priced for about $20 I will buy a few, if not I will then try to mod the blocky one.