When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Father Damien ...Sainted

lanikai

Blessed Damien of Molokai, SS.CC. (January 3, 1840 – April 15, 1889), born Jozef De Veuster and also known as Damien De Veuster (Dutch: Pater Damiaan or Zalige Damiaan De Veuster), was a Roman Catholic priest from Belgium and member of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,[1] a missionary religious order. Pope Benedict will officially declare him a saint on 11 October 2009. He won recognition for his ministry to people with leprosy (also known as Hansen's Disease), who had been placed under a government-sanctioned medical quarantine on the island of Molokai in the Kingdom of Hawaii.[2] He eventually contracted and died of the disease, and is widely considered a "martyr of charity".

**Wikipedia**

250pxfatherdamien.jpg

For the last week in Hawaii.. we have been viewing Belgium through the eye's of a delegation from Hawaii.. Halau's (hula groups) and a couple of friends that were apart of that group and are in Rome today.

Needless to say the Belgium country side is beautiful beyond words ...

.. and in Belgium, at the site of Father Damien's Tomb .. the Kumu Hula's chanting their ancient blessings..

And today.. Pride filled me as the announcer at the Vatican recognized the Hawaii delegation, and the Pope stood to recognize them .. and to see the local faces seated and waving their yellow caps..

I am not Religious and don't mean to bring Religion as a thread.. but we have walked through this event from the day that a cancer patient here was declared a "miracle" by the Vatican and her Doctor.. after consistent prayer at the site of Father Damien ....

Father Damien was ordained here on Oahu after arriving from Belgium .. he is as much a part of Hawaii as the Royalty and Hawaii's .. "Hawaii Pono I" .. our Anthem .. which we sang as children along with our National Anthem in the classrooms.

Father Damien has always been to us ... a symbol of giving and not receiving... unconditional ... that is the what was taught to us as children, from this man.. and if you ever get to view Kalaupapa even from the air.. it looks as if to have blessed by the Hand of God ...

Excuse me if I offended anyone with this thread.. but I am so Proud of what Father Damien represents.. and on the 11th of October.. Saint Damien of Belgium .. but we will always look upon him as "Saint Damien of Hawaii" .. and what he has given generations here in kindness even after his death.

AC

lani