When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

leather rep straps

chronos666

I was wondering about those rep rubber straps... are they really made of natural rubber or what is it? Is it safe to wear those straps or may it be unhealthy? I dont't mean those cheap replicas - the expensive "good" ones like Hublot Big Bang...

Not even the gens us natural rubber anymore as it would eventually crack. All the straps are made from a silicone base (Gen & rep). It is to what "degree" other materials are compounded into the mixture. For instance I have a gen & rep Breitling pro diver strap. The gen his more stiff and resists dust. The rep, while still excellent, is more flexible and has a tendency to accumulate dust. To me this is indicating more silicone then the gen strap.

A few months ago there was a really good article in one of the watch magazines that talked about the use of rubber in Swiss time pieces. Hublot was the first to use natural rubber straps on their watches. Throughout the years more and more manufactures have adopted rubber as the technology has evolved from natural rubber to silicone based.

With regards to leather straps, I bought one from Andrew for my SOSF, and it was phenomenal. It felt like, smelled like and acted like leather. Compared to a Gen on a scale from 1-10, 10 being a gen strap, the rep was a 8.5!

:drinks:

Some of the best straps for the buck come from one of our accessories dealers, he's also on ebay but if you go to his store and mention you are from RWG he'll give you a discount on his already great prices.. I've purchased many straps from him in the past..

his shark for Pams are the same as the expensive names.. like you find on TC Straps .. his Breitlings are excellent and around 25 usd.. but I agree with Bike Mike.. the rep straps on the SOSF are exellent .. I used parafin wax to coat the stiching.. looks better ...

this is Christians site for "Bob" straps.. Bob Strap

AC

Lani