When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 recommendations?

montyboy

All the great photos of the red 1680 have really gotten my attention. I'm new to reps (stumbled across the forum after being burned on a cheapie faux chrono), and I'm trying to soak in as much info as I can. Thanks to everyone here for being so generous with their knowledge.

So, where can I start with a 1680? I'm looking at:

http://www.jpc8118.com/....

http://www.prowatch-polo.com/...

http://www.tt88time.com/...

Are the first 2 pretty much the same watch? Just wondering what the best value is "out of the box" and might also allow me to upgrade it over time. I am leaning towards the 3rd "top grade" because it's supposed to be 1:1 and cheaper than MBK. Anyone have any experience with these, and what sort of mods should I consider?

I'll chime in with my opinion (for what it's worth).

I've ordered a few watches from Andrew (Trustytime - the one year leaning toward). He has always delivered. Responds to emails quickly and all watches have arrived in perfect working order. However, I don't think his top grade vintage Rolex watches are anywhere near as accurate as the MBW/MBK watches. I actually have one, and the bezel construction is not like the genuine. I would think that the modding possibilities with these watches is limited.

His new vintage Sea Dwellers look promising.

Again... just my opinion.

we're awaiting a new line of vintages from Josh and Andrew.. it's better than the ones from them in the past and is compatible to accept genuine parts.. MBK is king of the hill.. but these should be interesting if they are equal to MBK..

like MBK they would still needs mods .. but they are priced around 200 usd .. I will do a side by side with the MBK model..

looking forward to it.. !!

AC

Lani

Yes, that post is great reading, Auman20! Thanks.

Lani, was there an actual post talking about these upcoming new vintages? I'd love to hear more about them. I'm also staying on top of that Josh DRSD topic.

We're just anxiously awaiting the arrival... it's been in the works for over a year now .. I thought it was forgotten by the maker.. but it is here.. more exciting vintages are due out toward the end of the year.. affordable and good I should say..it's movement is an Asian.. but that is not a real costly mod.. but if it can accept genuine parts then the sky's the limit.. :lol: .. and if not .. you still have an affordable rep.

it has it's niche as not everyone is into over a thou. to buy and mod a vintage.. it will allow you to evolve with your hobby.. so if you want to add genuine parts later you are able to..

the steel is denser and has a different sheen as I understand it..

AC

Lani

Thanks, tr4driver! Can I ask which watch you purchased? Even if the top grade watch isn't really 1:1, do you think there's any advantage to that one over the other reps?

I have a 5513 from Andrew as well as a 1665 MBW from Eurotimez. Everything about the Eurotimez watch is must better than the top grade vintage watch from Andrew. The bezel on the has the bent wire tension/clip system rather than the flat washer (like the gen), and the bracelet is very light and flimsy compared to the MBW bracelet in the MBW. Also, the dial looks very fake.

As others have suggested, I would go with one of the new 1665's offered by Josh and Andrew for $200 (with the Asian ETA), or maybe wait a bit. Sounds like they may be coming out with some more vintage subs constructed the same way.