When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anti-magnetic protection: Pics on how the soft iron inner case works

Typemono

Took the opportunity to check out the IWC boutique in China. They showed me this :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It demonstrates the anti-magnetic protection of the soft iron inner case. The watch continues running when it is put ontop of the magnet. Watches without the soft iron inner case stop. Looking forward to seeing experiments and tests with reps.

I predict that the factories will soon stop putting soft iron inner case to avoid refunds and complains.

Enjoy.

-MONO

dsc00058mi.jpg

dsc00057dd.jpg

dsc00056kc.jpg

dsc00055pn.jpg

dsc00054z.jpg

Well, since the makers don't "Market" the "Replications" as being Anti-Magnetic..(it takes certain types of alloys in the metal to produce an "Anti Magnetic" product.) and seeing that our watches are in fact 'replicas' I cannot see the inner casing as anything but cosmetic.. I would be surprised if the rep were actually anti magnetic .. it would be in the same context as the Ceramic insert for the GMT rep.. it is not actually ceramic..

So for clarification.. the "metal" has different alloys than our reps .. the same as reps using 316 l and F and not the genuine metal that is used in the gen Rolex..

here is a Wiki... history of the anti magnetic watch and it's properties:

ISO 764 magnetic resistant watches standard

The international standard ISO 764 Horology—Magnetic resistant watches defines the resistance of watches to magnetic fields. According to ISO 764 or its equivalent DIN 8309 (Deutsche Industrie Norm - German Industry Norm) a watch must resist exposition to a direct current magnetic field of 4,800 A/m (Ampere per meter). The watch must keep its accuracy to +/- 30 seconds/day as measured before the test in order to be acknowledged as a magnetic resistant watch. Annex A of ISO 764 deals with watches designated as magnetic resistant with an additional indication of intensity of a magnetic field exceeding 4,800 A/m.

There are two ways of building an anti-magnetic watch:

* The first way consists in using different alloys, capable of withstanding magnetic fields. These alloys include Invar (iron - nickel - carbon - chromium alloy), Glucydur (beryllium - bronze alloy), Nivarox (iron - nickel - chromium - titanium - beryllium alloy) and Elinvar - an alloy similar to Invar, though less resistant to magnetism and more resistant to thermal influence. These alloys are preferred by different watchmakers due to their differing properties. Since the 1950s, Nivarox and Glucydur were extensively used by watchmakers[who?]. In the 1960s, almost all Swiss watches had Glucydur balance and Nivarox hairsprings. The anchors, escape wheels and other watch mechanisms were also made of non-magnetic metals or alloys.

* Another way of making a watch non-magnetic is to house the entire movement into a case made of a highly conductive (permeable) material. The movement is covered by an additional soft-iron clasp to prevent the forming of magnetic fields inside the watch itself.

History

The first recorded experiments in anti-magnetic watch-making are in 1846. Watchmakers from Vacheron Constantin were among the first to experiment with anti-magnetic features of a watch. However, they succeeded in assembling the first antimagnetic watch only several decades later. That watch was able to withstand magnetic fields because some of its parts were made of non-magnetic metals: the palladium-made balance wheel, balance spring and the lever shaft.

In 1896 Charles Edouard Guillaume discovered the nickel based alloy Invar. Afterwards, in 1920, when he received the Nobel Prize in Physics, he developed another alloy - Elinvar. These alloys assisted in the assembly of anti-magnetic watches. Invar and Elinvar are able to resist magnetic fields, allowing the watch to continue to keep accurate time.

The first anti-magnetic pocket watch was assembled by Vacheron Constantin in 1915. Later, in 1929, Tissot assembled the first ever non-magnetic wristwatch. In 1954 Vacheron Constantin continued to innovate by producing the first anti-magnetic chronograph. In 1958 Jaeger-LeCoultre improved the chronograph's resistance to magnetic fields by doubling its anti-magnetic case.

So remember for our "purposes" the reps we buy are just that.. reps.. I don't swim with them and would not test them on a magnetic field....

AC

Lani

Interesting device. I'm sure an IWC nut would love one in the collection.

Tell me why do you think that " the factories will soon stop putting soft iron inner case to avoid refunds and complains." ?

Maybe something lost in the translation but I fail to see how includiing the case could result in complaints.

Col.

Col.

You're right. Something lost in transaltion.

I had this idea of factories suddenly switching the inner casing because they became worried that customers expecting their watch to be magnetic proof because of having a inner case would start complaining because they can now test it. I had an experince with fake DVDs having the extras printed on the back but not included on the DVD and seeing the pirates removes it a few months later because of complains.

I am certain the good people on RWG would expect the inner casing only as being cosmetic like Lani. But I have had experiences with colleagues who can't accept that the chronograph is not working and the lume is weak on their reps. Trying to draw comparisons albeit not a good one. Sorry :(

Lani is 100% right. We should think of our reps as just reps.

Hope this clarifies.

-MONO