When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello from Formosa

minggi

Just wanted to say hello to everyone here. I am from Formosa (Taiwan).

I discovered the world of reps a couple months ago whilst trying to create a frankenstein, and thought a case in the dinstinct Richard Mille shape could be handy. Before I knew I was already a convert (or "replicant," which is my preferred term as I am a Blade Runner fan :D ).

I see rep as a more light-hearted and democratic approach to the pleasure of horology--it's the "open-source" in horology. I've been collecting gens for more than twenty years, and I can honestly say that over the years gen watches have become a bit too commercialized to my liking, and a lot less fun. The rep world is to me a timely relief, an antidote if you will.

As can be expected my rep collection so far is tiny, consisting of just a couple MBK PPs because these are more straight forward targets. The Nautilus, being one of the thinnest steel sport watches, is something I've been contemplating for years. The MBK version, though not true to the gen, happens to have all the right ingredients together for me--central second hand, solid back, the oh-so-70's minute-track on the dial, and the work-horse 2824-2 which even I can service (ETA oiling charts are basically public domain stuff). And the Aquanaut is a pure delight!

Can't post a thank-you to every thread from which I've learned and enjoyed, so just wanted to say a big thank you here to all of you on this forum.

Cheers,

fred

Welcome to RWG. Well Fred you sure do seem to know your stuff, Im Impressed to say the least. I feel In many ways much like you do about are little hobby, a antidote? I like that. I have been all over the web and have visited many watch forums. I always return because RWG has the most knowledgeable and helpful members that I have ever experenced. Im sure you will be a great asset to this community, enjoy :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

Mike since you're familiar with all the gen forums you must know what I am saying about the changes in the gen world over the years. Just around ten years ago 5512, 5513 and 1675 were around $1k and aplenty on the bay. 18k Omega 30T2RG was around $600 and the moon watch was about the same. Their prices today are basically prohibitive to young collectors. New watches are even worse. I don't really want to blame the brands and market so I just seek my own fresh air.

If you see Kay--I am a bit old-fashioned so like the name Formosa :rolleyes: I grew up in the south, where there're some super delicious local foods. I now live in Taipei.

Lanikai, yes I really like it here :lol:

f.

Mike since you're familiar with all the gen forums you must know what I am saying about the changes in the gen world over the years. Just around ten years ago 5512, 5513 and 1675 were around $1k and aplenty on the bay. 18k Omega 30T2RG was around $600 and the moon watch was about the same. Their prices today are basically prohibitive to young collectors. New watches are even worse. I don't really want to blame the brands and market so I just seek my own fresh air.

If you see Kay--I am a bit old-fashioned so like the name Formosa :rolleyes: I grew up in the south, where there're some super delicious local foods. I now live in Taipei.

Lanikai, yes I really like it here :lol:

f.

Fresh air Indeed :good: