When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Divers Deployant for leather straps

jdkno

I am trying to find a decent divers style deployant that I can put on a leather strap. I am not looking for the standard deployants but more of the style that comes on metal watch bands that lock with a push button and then have a piece that folds over to lock it. Something similar to this

Coris%20Des.%20negra%203.JPG

Also if anyone knows about how much adjustability there is in a deployant like this.

I am trying to find a decent divers style deployant that I can put on a leather strap. I am not looking for the standard deployants but more of the style that comes on metal watch bands that lock with a push button and then have a piece that folds over to lock it. Something similar to this

Coris%20Des.%20negra%203.JPG

Also if anyone knows about how much adjustability there is in a deployant like this.

I have a deployant which is virtually identical to that one (slightly different shape to the safety clasp/thumb groove) and the amount a adjustability is as in the one you've pictured.

[Edit to add]

Here's a quick and dirty to show the adjustment system...

DSCN2543.jpg

TeeJay do you know where I could get my hands on one?

Also the adjustability, is it a few mm, more, less??

Lastly and this is probably going to be a PITA but how does it attach to the strap?

My orange monster should be here tomorrow and I want to get a strap exactly like the one I have pictured for it, then get the case and deployant DLC'ed to finish off the look.

The main problem I am dealing with right now is the strap is made by JacobStraps originaly for an Oris Carlos Casta watch. Jacob speaks Spanish and some english based on his reply to my e-mail. So I need to get all of the measurments down and get it to him to have the strap made. Since there is a language barrier I have to be 100% or I am almost certian the end result will not be correct.

TeeJay do you know where I could get my hands on one?

Also the adjustability, is it a few mm, more, less??

Lastly and this is probably going to be a PITA but how does it attach to the strap?

My orange monster should be here tomorrow and I want to get a strap exactly like the one I have pictured for it, then get the case and deployant DLC'ed to finish off the look.

The main problem I am dealing with right now is the strap is made by JacobStraps originaly for an Oris Carlos Casta watch. Jacob speaks Spanish and some english based on his reply to my e-mail. So I need to get all of the measurments down and get it to him to have the strap made. Since there is a language barrier I have to be 100% or I am almost certian the end result will not be correct.

I have to admit, I can't remember where I bought the strap from, as it was about 3 years ago, and probably the first result from a Google search, but, any one of these straps would provide you with the clasp :)

The adjustment and fitting to the strap, I can cover in one answer... The outer part of the clasp (not the leaves) attaches to one end of the strap in the exact same way as it would attach to a bracelet, and, even if the strap is designed to be worn with a buckle, the spring-bar will still fit :) The 'other end' of the clasp is where the adjustment takes place. The section of strap 'with the holes' is looped through the back of the clasp, as you'll see in my above photo, and there is a small peg on the back of the clasp, which goes through the hole in the strap, where the buckle's tongue would pass, so from that point of view, you adjust/set the size of the strap in the same way as you would with a buckle :) You could also use the additional holes on the back of the clasp to maybe get a few mm of adjustment if need be, but the regular strap holes will most likely be sufficient :victory:

TeeJay, the link you posted, those look like rubber straps that connect to the deployant much like the Breitling Ocean Racer where you cut the rubber to get it to fit.

Would this one be what I am looking for? It looks like the attachment is as you described

http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-p3193h330s336-TOP-Watch-band-22mm-.html

Lastly, whats the comfort of this setup in comparison to a regular buckle?

TeeJay, the link you posted, those look like rubber straps that connect to the deployant much like the Breitling Ocean Racer where you cut the rubber to get it to fit.

Would this one be what I am looking for? It looks like the attachment is as you described

http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-p3193h330s336-TOP-Watch-band-22mm-.html

Lastly, whats the comfort of this setup in comparison to a regular buckle?

Yes, those straps were rubber, but the clasp itself would likely still be the same as the one in the leather strap you've just linked to :) The one on the leather strap, is identical in form and function to the clasp on my strap. Here's a few more photos to show how it all fits together :)

DSCN2544.jpg

DSCN2545.jpg

DSCN2547.jpg

In terms of comfort... That's a hard one as everyone's personal tastes and tolerances can be quite different... The most objective description I could give, is that the 'outer layer' of the strap, with the pressure from the clasp, will press the excess tongue into the inside of your wrist, so the watch will sit very securely in place on your wrist. I would not say that it is unwearably uncomfortable, but personally speaking, I find a regular buckle (or a set up like on a Rolex leather strap) to be, not so much 'more comfortable', per se, but provide a 'less rigid fit' for the watch...

Thanks TeeJay, I could not have asked for a better more detailed answer. I understand what you are saying about the comfort thing as well.

The main reason I want to use a clasp of some kind is in an effort to keep the damage to the band where it goes in and out of a traditional buckle to a minimum. I guess I will order one of the strap/clasp combos and give it a test drive for a week or two before I get the strap made to accomodate it.

Thanks again.

Thanks TeeJay, I could not have asked for a better more detailed answer. I understand what you are saying about the comfort thing as well.

The main reason I want to use a clasp of some kind is in an effort to keep the damage to the band where it goes in and out of a traditional buckle to a minimum. I guess I will order one of the strap/clasp combos and give it a test drive for a week or two before I get the strap made to accomodate it.

Thanks again.

Happy to be of help :) I think the best way I could describe the overall fit of a watch with this clasp setup, is 'snug', and it sits more like a solid bangle than say an SS bracelet, or even a buckled strap. I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'uncomfortable', but it definitely makes the watch a more noticeable presence on the wrist. But, as I mentioned, everyones tastes are different, so it really is a matter of personal taste :) On a diver's style watch, that kind of solidity, and the resulting ease for reading the face is definitely a plus. On a more casual or formal watch, it might feel a little 'constrictive' :)

On a diver's style watch, that kind of solidity, and the resulting ease for reading the face is definitely a plus. On a more casual or formal watch, it might feel a little 'constrictive' :)

Yeah since it is going to be on a Seiko Monster the solidity is a must as it will basicly share duties with my G Shock as a tool watch.

Yeah since it is going to be on a Seiko Monster the solidity is a must as it will basicly share duties with my G Shock as a tool watch.

If a solid/secure fit to your wrist is what you require, the above mentioned setup will definitely provide that :) Rotating your wrist to check the time, will not make the watch rotate over your wrist, it will just turn with it :lol: Just be prepared to be aware of something pressing against the inside of your wrist until you become accustomed to it :lol: