When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to attach a cyclops

krbarnes

I am changing the dial and datewheel overlay on my Sub, and will need to remove and re-install the cyclops. I think I can probably get the cyclops off with heat, but what do I use to re-attach it? Will the rear-view mirror adhesive at the auto parts store work?

Thanks.

The mirror adhesive should work, but I do not know how transparent it is or how long it will last (the 1 time I used that stuff to reattach a car mirror, the mirror fell off the windscreen within a year). Ideally, you should use a UV cement, which dries clear, provides a good, long-lasting bond & cures in minutes under a UV lamp (you can also cure it by leaving the crystal out under direct sunlight for several minutes). Ofrei.com, julesborel.com, cousinsuk.com & most other parts supply houses sell UV cement & lamp.

The only problem with the car mirror adhesive .. it gives no window (time) to adjust the cyclops..imo..it fastens on contact.. as freddy states the UV glue would work best it will give you ample time to adjust the cyclops.. I have yet to attempt it.. waiting for my crystal to come back from chiefs ..

also .. it takes a lot of heat to remove the cyclops.. I use my cigar torch.. hold the crystal with tweezers ..point the mag towards a cardboard box filled with an old t-shirt..( you need to catch the cyclops)..... the cyclops.. "pops" off and is like a projectile.. believe me I did quite a few of them..

AC

Lani

Just to make sure ... to use the heat removal option, you need to uninstall the crystal. I would not try that with the crystal installed. To remove a crystal without tools is possible (uncase movement first and then carefully press with a thumb from the inside out) - to reinstall it is more difficult, especially if you want the watch to be waterproof.