When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Install a crystal

krbarnes

I'm going to be rebuilding my Submariner, and have a question for the smart people here.

Do you install a new crystal before installing the movement in the case, or after? I will need to align the cyclops with the date window on the dial.

I bought a WM9 V2 case/caseback + crown set + Clark crystal, and will be installing my 2836-2 movmement with Noob dial and WM9 V2 bracelet.

If you have a WM9 with Clark crystal, you can install just the crystal and gasket prior to installing the movement. Once you have the crystal in place, fit the movement and dial, and hold the movement center by also inserting the crown and stem and thread it down to the tube (this keeps the movement from shifting). At this point, you will be able to align the crystal so that the cyclops is centered over the date. Once you have achieved your preferred alignment, drop the movement back out and press the crystal/retaining ring on over the crystal.

At least, that's how I do it...

If you have a cyclops, you need to have the movement and dial mounted for alignment. Just make sure that the movement is secured, insert and screw down the crown to line it up before installing the case clamp screws. Make sure you have the caseback also secured, before you press the crystal down.

It is best to concentrate on the crystal installation and alignment and not worrying about it being completely dust free at this stage. Your job is to install, line up, and correctly seat the crystal, dust will be taken care of after - when you take the movement out again. You will save yourself a lot of grief if you plan to remove the movement after the crystal is installed and clean and make it dust free, trying to cut corners and do it all at the same time, can lead to problems.