When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wrong Portuguese Dial?

shultz

Hi there

though I am not a fan of these dress watches (my latest purchase is a damn close new datejust but compared to my Avenger, PAM127 and Bentley I decided to put it the box...) i like the new IWC Portuguese chronographs. But by comparing the rep pics to the gen watch (in person and in the catalogue) to me it looks like recessed markers on the rep's dial instead of applied/ raised markers as genuine.

Does anybody already received that rep and could help me in this?

Thanks a lot!

What have you been smokin!!

@ Finepics,

what a kind statement :whistling:

I took a look to the pics of some sellers and due to the pic quality to me it wasn't clear if raised or recessed minute markers. Of course I know the gen watch but we are talking about reps. It is obvious that the hour markers/ numerals are raised.

@ slay

I won't ruin anything.

I am wondering why my question is bringing up such comments here......

@ lovepanerai

Thx mate! You understood what I meant by posting my question here! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by shultz

I took a look to the pics of some sellers and due to the pic quality to me it wasn't clear if raised or recessed markers. [...] I am wondering why my question is bringing up such comments here......

Question? You didn't ask, you stated. You stated that you thought the dial was one way when it wasn't. People tend to get a little defensive when someone says something they know to be wrong, especially when it calls into question a watch they love.

It's nothing personal, so don't worry too much. :D

Question? You didn't ask, you stated.

It's nothing personal, so don't worry too much. :D

Pugwash you're funny: I wrote: "to me it looks like recessed markers on the rep's dial instead of applied/ raised markers as genuine. (...) Does anybody already received that rep and could help me in this?" . I guess that is more a question than a statement, isn't it?

I don't worry too much but I was wondering about the comments. Maybe it depends on my english language skills.... :g:

Hi there

though I am not a fan of these dress watches (my latest purchase is a damn close new datejust but compared to my Avenger, PAM127 and Bentley I decided to put it the box...) i like the new IWC Portuguese chronographs. But by comparing the rep pics to the gen watch (in person and in the catalogue) to me it looks like recessed markers on the rep's dial instead of applied/ raised markers as genuine.

Does anybody already received that rep and could help me in this?

Thanks a lot!

Shultz,

This is just a guess - as I have not recieved my IWC yet (any day now) but, I too noticed the difference between the Rep & Gen on the minute markers. I just returned from my AD and looked at several auotomatic Portuguesers and no doubt about it - the minute markes are raised. I have carefully examined pictures of the Rep from several dealers and several individual owners who have posted pictures on several rep sites.

It looks to me that on some of the Reps the minute markers are sunken a bit, some are flush and some are raised. I have seen combinations of flush and raised on the same watch. It could be the angle some of these pictures were taken from, but I would guess it will depend on the watch you recieve and how well it was assembled. It looks like they are trying to "replicate" the gen dial but as is in most replicas the watch ends up being a little off.

Hey jake,

thank you very much for your extensive information. That's exactly what I asked for. When I went to an IWC store I noticed the gen's dial which looked different to some pics posted by several sellers. Of course the minute markers look a little sunken but nevertheless sligtly raised on some reps. Anyway: Thanks to all for englightening me :victory:

P.S. jake: Over on TRC you posted that a damn close IWC BP woul dcome out this year? I would be happy for more information.

Hey jake,

thank you very much for your extensive information. That's exactly what I asked for. When I went to an IWC store I noticed the gen's dial which looked different to some pics posted by several sellers. Of course the minute markers look a little sunken but nevertheless sligtly raised on some reps. Anyway: Thanks to all for englightening me :victory:

P.S. jake: Over on TRC you posted that a damn close IWC BP woul dcome out this year? I would be happy for more information.

Dude - sorry I have just realised what you were referring to and maybe it's me smokin [censored]!! You are right as well - I had not noticed that. Will have to rush to Harrods again tomorrow to have another look - still not a big enough deal for me to fret over though.

@jake48 can you PM me those BP details as well please - thanks.

Shultz,

This is just a guess - as I have not recieved my IWC yet (any day now) but, I too noticed the difference between the Rep & Gen on the minute markers. I just returned from my AD and looked at several auotomatic Portuguesers and no doubt about it - the minute markes are raised. I have carefully examined pictures of the Rep from several dealers and several individual owners who have posted pictures on several rep sites.

It looks to me that on some of the Reps the minute markers are sunken a bit, some are flush and some are raised. I have seen combinations of flush and raised on the same watch. It could be the angle some of these pictures were taken from, but I would guess it will depend on the watch you recieve and how well it was assembled. It looks like they are trying to "replicate" the gen dial but as is in most replicas the watch ends up being a little off.

I have just looked at the real deal at an AD and the minute markers are identical to my Panda Rep - they are slightly recessed all of them; the roman numbers look a little different on the gen.

So please if there are any pictures that show what you mean that would be appreciated. Here is one that show a gen with the recessed minute markers:

post-1495-1157333631_thumb.jpg

I have just looked at the real deal at an AD and the minute markers are identical to my Panda Rep - they are slightly recessed all of them; the roman numbers look a little different on the gen.

So please if there are any pictures that show what you mean that would be appreciated. Here is one that show a gen with the recessed minute markers:

Hmmm... The Portuguesers I am looking at have Arabic numbers - What kind of Portugueser are you looking at?

We can play this game all day. Here is a gen that looks like the markers(including the markers at the hours) are clearly recessed.

112333-23657.jpg

Here is a picture of a Gen where it is hard to tell, but it looks to me that the markers at the hours are raised.

112333-23658.jpg

I guess you can believe what you want. I looked at no fewer than three Gen Autos and a rattraponte. They all looked like the minute markers were at the very least flush, with the hour markers clearly raised.

Try looking at the Portugueser with Aribic numbers

Hmmm... The Portuguesers I am looking at have Arabic numbers - What kind of Portugueser are you looking at?

We can play this game all day. Here is a gen that looks like the markers(including the markers at the hours) are clearly recessed.

112601-23593.jpg

Here is a picture of a Gen where it is hard to tell, but it looks to me that the markers at the hours are raised.

112601-23594.jpg

I guess you can believe what you want. I looked at no fewer than three Gen Autos and a rattraponte. They all looked like the minute markers were at the very least flush, with the hour markers clearly raised.

Try looking at the Portugueser with Aribic numbers

I meant Arabic...and by the way we are saying the same thing as far as how it should be :bangin:

I meant Arabic...and by the way we are saying the same thing as far as how it should be :bangin:

Yes, I can see that we seem to be saying the same thing - I think we are going down the crazy path of trying to exam a rep with a microscope when in reality it will always be a rep - and a damn good one at that!!

When you look at the Gen you realize no matter how good a rep looks in a photo, in real life, there are always little things that make the gen a gen. One of the things that I noticed on almost all of the SS IWC's is the way the steel looks. Especially when you look at the crown. The metal isn't as porous (probably due to a higher quality of steel used) and it seems to shine like a diamond. The knurling on the crown always seems to look crisper on a gen. too. This watch would be a good canidate for a gen crown.

Yes, I can see that we seem to be saying the same thing - I think we are going down the crazy path of trying to exam a rep with a microscope when in reality it will always be a rep - and a damn good one at that!!

When you look at the Gen you realize no matter how good a rep looks in a photo, in real life, there are always little things that make the gen a gen. One of the things that I noticed on almost all of the SS IWC's is the way the steel looks. Especially when you look at the crown. The metal isn't as porous (probably due to a higher quality of steel used) and it seems to shine like a diamond. The knurling on the crown always seems to look crisper on a gen. too. This watch would be a good canidate for a gen crown.

I hear you :D - Everytime I handle my gen Panerai vs. my reps I have the same feeling :yeah:

What a thread .... it took me some time to find out if the discussion was about the dials , the numbers or some kind of smoking stuff.

Any way , just a question guys ... and I am not a IWC expert and I didnt examined the IWC portug Rep under a magnifying glass.

The first think that it striked me was the color of the dial.

The gen has a clean white dial color , where the rep it looks like it has a "silvery with white snow flakes" (????!!!!) color.

Am I wrong ????

If am I wright, to me this is the biggest fault.