When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6497 Movement Question.

this_sith

Unfortunately I need to replace the broken movement in my 177G (6497)

Do any of the dealers sell these individually?

Also many have said the Asian movements are just as reliable as the Swiss movements. If this is the case, why do we pay extra for the swiss version, is the finish better?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I think there are two things happening. 1. There is an underlying assumption about fit and finish of Swiss parts that

may or may not be true. I have seen both Swiss and Asian movements that worked extremely well and with the 6497, the parts are mostly if not completely interchangeable. On the negative side, some of the materials of the Asian movements seem to be of lesser quality and therefore, some of the issues I personally have had with these movements have been metalurgical in nature. YMMV

2. There is some arrogance in our hobby that forces us (Myself included) to shun Asian movements in general, even in Reps. On some watches, you cannot properly replicate the functionality of the original without going Swiss but it tends to get expensive.

Ask me about my 250 Panerai conversion.

For me, it is mostly number two. There is something about knowing that even though I did not pay 5K for a watch, it has a

very similar, if not the same movement as the $5K watch but only costs a fraction. I buy watches, both GEN and Rep because of the look and the movement. Therefore, it makes sense in my mind to go Swiss...

Unfortunately I need to replace the broken movement in my 177G (6497)

Do any of the dealers sell these individually?

Also many have said the Asian movements are just as reliable as the Swiss movements. If this is the case, why do we pay extra for the swiss version, is the finish better?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Have you tried to contact anyone from the board dealers yet? I am sure they can help you in sourcing a replacment A6497 movement. If you don't even mind to fit a sterile movment I wud recommend getat or jackson tse. both offer some good looking asian clones with different upgrade options such as swaneck, pvd or skeleton at decent prices.

As most members have said that both movement are pretty much bombproof and reliable. The main reason for the price difference I can think of is I the cheaper labour cost in Asia compared to Europe. Its just up to your personal preferences really. In some regard the asian movement are said to be better replication in terms of accuracy movement design like flared spokes, notches, high beat and some even have the incablock?.