When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Measurement of Lignes and Calibres

PeteM

Could anyone direct me to a good link for explaining how to measure Lignes or calibres. An idiots guide shall we say!!

Thanks in advance

Pete .. good question .. interesting the history of the calibration.. dates back to the middle ages

here's a very brief history of the calibration

Rolex (and almost all Swiss watches) are measured in lignes.

The "ligne" is a measurement dating back to the middle ages and was initially one twelfth of an English Inch; however over time this calculation has changed. Nowadays a "ligne" measurement is inches divided by .0888, or cm divided by 2.2558. In other words there are just over 4 lignes to the cm and just over 11 lignes to the inch

one of the reasons I love this hobby .. such history.

AC/Lani

Thanks Lani

Middle ages now thats interesting. I assume that it was a general method of measurement at the time and then used on early time pieces as it was a standard form of measurement.

I know some watchmakers still use it in describing their movements and other use the term of calibre which to me is the diameter of a bore.

Your right but its funny how you consider the terminology used today as technical but in its origination it tends to be an everyday word discarded over time leaving it to be used in a particular area or discipline, left to bamboozle the less technical of us.

As far as I know lignes relates only to size. Many years ago Caliber (as relates to Horology) related to size only as well. Today caliber is the form of identification for a specific movement attributed to a specific manufacturer (Rolex Caliber 1570, etc.). In fact a watch movement's "caliber" is what is registered with the Swiss Trademark office listing all of its salient characteristics (size, complications, materials, etc.). In effect it is now a form of intellectual property protection for a specific movement and its manufacturer. Hey, you asked. :lol:

As far as I know lignes relates only to size. Many years ago Caliber (as relates to Horology) related to size only as well. Today caliber is the form of identification for a specific movement attributed to a specific manufacturer (Rolex Caliber 1570, etc.). In fact a watch movement's "caliber" is what is registered with the Swiss Trademark office listing all of its salient characteristics (size, complications, materials, etc.). In effect it is now a form of intellectual property protection for a specific movement and its manufacturer. Hey, you asked. :lol:

:g:

does this mean I no longer have to fake like I know what you guy's are talking about on our conference calls ?? :lol: