When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which PAM?

Malakei

Hey there fellow RWG'ers. Recently got into the collecting hobby of these reps and Panerai being a major name in this game has really caught my attention. However, there are so many models to choose from and im sorta torn in deciding on purchases. I will probably buy multiple PAMs but alot depends on the look.

I really like the CG with the t.m. and reg engravings. I suppose this CG could be added to any of the PAMs with that case type but id rather it be accurate. Is this CG only for the 1950 style PAMs? Im hoping not because im not a fan of the huge domed crystal typical on the 1950s. Nevertheless I can probably deal with that as I really like everything else about the 1950 models so I supposed I could potentially swap out for a flat crystal?? Is that possible?

Being new to the watch game, Im not really aware of the costs and difficulties involved with modding or working on watches in any respect including servicing the movement to altering the parts and cases. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows what I should be expecting to pay for entry level PAMs new and used that would also help me find value reps :) I know there is probably a wide spectrum of pricing based on the model and parts used so Ill give a summary. I "PREFER" sandwich dial, engraved and brushed CG, either asian ETA, High beat, or swiss movements. Not sure which is the best value, however I do know the swiss movements are more expensive. Even a 21J is fine but Ive heard a few horror stories in the short time ive been researching this, so I might try and steer clear of them if its possible.

Im going to stop yammering now, but would love to see some input from some PAM collectors on how they started off and what my budget should be.

Justin

You've just started down a long and slippery slope mate :)

Unfortunately, the CG you've mentioned is only applicable to Fiddy(1950) style cases. Majority of them have the domed sapphire crystals. The only one that comes to mind in the rep world is the PAM 243, which is a submersible range without sandwich dial. (Some pics on RG)

What I think you'd probably go for is the new style PAM 312 (just google for images), its got a flat-ish sapphire crystal, fiddy style case with the CG you like, sandwich dial and lovely movement. Most are still waiting for a rep, and a so-so version is out on watcheden's site I believe.

Edited by unregistered