When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help finding perfect watch for my wife

Josetann

Wife's going to get a new watch for Christmas (actually it's for our daughter, but my wife's going to hold on to it until she's older). Since it's going to be passed down, it has to be a gen.

The one she likes best so far is a Rolex Ladies Datejust with blue dial, roman numerals, fluted white-gold bezel, and jubilee bracelet. Found one in Tortola for a bit over $4800, probably should have just got that one.

Since she's getting it for our daughter (this is her first Christmas), it needs to be this year's design. For the Datejust mentioned above, that'd mean it'd have to have the new style clasp on the bracelet (believe that came out in 2007). Needs to be new, or at least unworn (might be a bit flexible on that).

Here's what I need help on. We either need to get the best deal we can on that specific watch, or find something else that she'd like just as much. Here's the must-have specs:

- Small, like the Ladies Datejust though she also tried on a Tag Heuer Carerra and a Baume Mercier (forgot model) that seemed to be a good size too.

- Automatic.

- Second hand (she's a nurse so this is a must for an every-day watch).

- No two-tone, just stainless steel (though white gold is ok, which the Datejust has)

- Can't be too flashy (a few diamonds on the face may be ok, a diamond bezel might be pushing it a bit). Just a nice classy watch that can be worn for all occasions (from delivering babies to a nice formal night on a cruise).

Those are the absolute must-haves before she'd even consider a watch. Several salespeople have tried to convince her a quartz model is the way to go (since it's hard to find a small ladies automatic), but she insists on an automatic (that's my girl!).

Thanks!

Edited by Josetann

For a classic, small format watch that meets these criteria, I would also suggest looking at some of the Cartier line. They have a lot of quartz ones, but the Ballon Bleu mid-sized auto is nice, classic, elegant and has long-lasting styling that can be updated with strap selection for variety. The Pasha C's are also quite elegant.

A very fun quest!!

For a classic, small format watch that meets these criteria, I would also suggest looking at some of the Cartier line. They have a lot of quartz ones, but the Ballon Bleu mid-sized auto is nice, classic, elegant and has long-lasting styling that can be updated with strap selection for variety. The Pasha C's are also quite elegant.

A very fun quest!!

I looked, but didn't see any automatic movements in the ladies (small) size. All the mid-size watches she's looked at have been too big for her (according to her; I think a Panerai would look fine on her but that's just me). Even the $20k+ ones were quartz (way outta our price range).

Just an update. Ordered the watch yesterday from Darryl at Swiss Luxury (swissluxury.com) Exact model number is 179174 blrj, specs are as written above. Total was $4560 plus another $25 for the wire fee. Still less than the $4800+ we were quoted in Tortola.

Fedex just delivered it today. Heart sank when there was no hologram. Quick search showed that Rolex no longer uses the holograms, so that's a relief. Gotta find out how to make absolutely sure it's a gen, but looks fine to me. Worst I could find online about the company was that the owner was rude (I didn't experience this) and that someone received a watch that had some parts swapped from another (still genuine rolex parts though). A- rating by the BBB (went direct to the BBB site).

So, any tell-tale signs that would immediately let me know it's gen without breaking it open? Really like my GMT in that regard, it has the correct hand stack AND the date changes with the hour hand not the GMT hand; since no rep does that I didn't have to dig any further.