When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cleaning solution for ultrasonic cleaning?

Agrippa

So I've just put a bid in for one of these ultrasonic cleaners on ebay. The price is very sympathetic, the seller seems good and the specs seem to be ok too (40KHz). Now all I need to know is whether I also have to get a special ultrasonic cleaning solution, or if perhaps something more mundane will do?

As far as I can understand the cleaning solution's primary functions are to reduce surface tension (in order to increase cavitation levels) and to act as a solvent/detergent, which leads me to think that perhaps ordinary washing-up liquid might do the job, since it is both a wetting agent, a detergent and a mild solvent?

Yes it will do the job.

Custom solutions will do a better job, however for the occasional clean, it is hard to justify spending the extra.

Also give thought to having your cleaning solution in a jar, suspended in the basket, in clean water.(Even heated water)

This way you do not have to pay so much attention to cleaning out the bowl of the ultrasonic after use, and the ultrasonic waves will work just as effectively inside the jar. (As long as what you want to clean fits into the jar!whistling.gif)

Offshore