When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UN MMD

ubiquitous

Just like my Hawaiian Bro, I ended up picking up a white UN MMD, though mine came after some mixed thoughts on the rep. I had always found the MMD to be an interesting design- As hackr once commented, it's like a Yacht-Master on steroids, and I'd have to agree. The MMD has several of the same characteristics, yet it ostensibly has a bit more presence due to it's overall size and bukly case design, whereas the 16622 Yachtie is a slimmer, more elegant and in contrast, a more conservative design.

My initial thoughts on the rep were mostly concern of the reliability of the movement. I was really hoping that the gen movement could be reverse engineered and cloned (which I think should be possible since the base movement is an ETA 2892). I was also a bit disappointed to see that certain small details like the bezel weren't done to a greater deal of accuracy; when you have watches like the Hublot Big Bang with complex case construction replicated to precision, getting a two piece bezel + insert should be a snap in comparison. None the less, I decided to give it a go, and I have to say that my expectations were exceeded. The dial is amazing, the case finish is well executed and the bracelet was well done. As lani mentioned, the bracelet is sharp, and having some form of extension or maybe a butterfly clasp would have been a good choice for fitting over the hand. I should also note that there are some slots/grooves/channels in the end links that would probably benefit from some additional polishing/reworking as they were rather crude (at least on mine). The movement is running well, and the working PR display is also a nice touch.

If one of the factories took this watch to the next level by correcting the bezel (making it a 2pc. bezel and insert), improving the pearl, changing the numbering plaque on the side with a silver plate, and cloning the gen movement, this would be a Super Rep in my opinion. The current rep as it stands is in my opinion 80% there; then again for the price, it's a hard watch to beat :)

I initially took delivery of both the white and black, but ended up keeping the white :) If the small flaws were corrected, my next one just might be the black dial ^_^

IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9504.jpg

IMG_9509.jpg

IMG_9522.jpg

IMG_9502.jpg

IMG_9626.jpg

IMG_9634.jpg

IMG_9640.jpg

IMG_9517.jpg

IMG_9643.jpg

IMG_9520.jpg

Thanks for looking! Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings...

//ubi

Supa R..

I still have to file down and smooth out the edges of the bracelet.. man they are wicked ..

As you state .. I hope these new breed of makers improve their "mind set" from rep to .. watches..

I think the new makers being groomed need to change their line of thought before we see the reps that were released in the past, before the economy went South.. although it does appear that they used some surplus parts to build this "economy" version..

thanks for the great pics.. as always R

AC

L

Hey R, how are you?

I'm wearing mine as I type, and I agree with you - too bad about the lack of finesse on the details, if they got it right this would be a wonderful watch.

Nonetheless, I love the way the dial changes in the light, and it's refreshing to wear a silver/white dial watch, all my others are black dial.

Happy holidays to you and your family!

Happy Holidays, lani and rek! Thanks for the Holiday wishes :)

Indeed- If the manufacturers just took this one a little further, this could be a phenominal piece! Let's hope this watch is worthy of a V2 in the near future :)

I also picked up one of these MMCs; great watch, beautiful in execution, but the damn thing is HUGE! Like wearing a dinner plate on my wrist. I don't wear it, but I do look at it often :lol:

IMG_9532.jpg

IMG_9547.jpg

IMG_9548a.jpg

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!