When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I have just seen my new franken Rolex GMTIIC 116710LN - Gen dial, gen glass and gen Corum 2893 movement transplanted!

concepta

There is one option to have a correct hand stack, and that is to install the hour hand on the 24h wheel, and the GMT hand on the HW. It would look a bit funny as your hour hand would advance in 1/2 hour increments, while your GMT hand would function as an hour hand.

From center stem to back of dial is 2.00mm, so no problem with stem alignment. The case was made for a 2836 I'm assuming? So center stem to back of dial is 2.2mm in the case. There is even a possibility to fit a genuine date disc in there. The 2893-2 is fitted with a date disc that has a step to raise the face of the disc up to the back of the dial. Overall thickness is .065mm. Standard ETA date disc is 0.20mm and seats flush in the movement. In theory, you could install a 2834-2 date disc that only has a step of 0.40mm. This will give you an extra 0.20mm between the 2834-2 disc and back of dial. Gen Rolex disc is 0.18mm thick, so you have 0.02mm difference to fit in there. Also, the difference between the 2836-2 and 2893-2 is 0.20mm, so you could install a 0.20mm spacer between movement and dial, but then you can run the risk of not being able to install the hands. The tallest hand fitting height for the 2893-2 is 0.90mm for the 24h wheel. But if you subtract 0.40mm for the dial you only have 0.50mm to attach the hand. And if you install a spacer subtract another 0.20mm, so you now you only have 0.30mm to attach the hand.

Anyway, I've heard good things about your watchmaker, so I'm sure he figured it out and you will have a great timepiece!