When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A few pictures...

sgv

What better way to start posting, than to post a few pictures.

Here's a little "history" on my watch collection. I got into collecting watches when I was about 15. My uncle had an amazing collection. It ranged from simple Tag's to custom Movados to Rolex Presidentials. Awesome. Purely awesome. He always said that you can tell a lot about a person by the watch they wear.

So, at the age of 16, I saved up money and bought my first Tag. I spent about $600 on it. I was in heaven. Being in high school and having a kickin' watch was all I needed. One of my good friends' family owned a great jewelry store...and ALWAYS had beautiful watches. I longed for a Rolex.

I wore that watch for a long time. Then, when I was a junior in college I bought a Tag S/eL. I had always liked them. I figured I was set. At this point I gave my other Tag to my bro to wear. He was never really into watches that much. (That changed quickly...hahaha...)

When I graduated, I decided to buy a Rolex. I went and bought a SS Datejust. It had a jubilee band, and an oyster band. I bought it from my jeweler. I loved it. At the age of 21 and realizing that I was wearing a Rolex was the bendin' end. After that, my jeweler offered me a smoking deal on a SS/14K Oysterquartz Rolex. I couldn't turn it down. They are beautiful watches. The most accurate watch I own. I love that watch.

I was thinking of buying a Sub. I was having lunch with my buddy in NY one day. He's a big watch collector as well. He said, "Why don't you get a rep?" I kinda brushed it off...we talked a little about them. (This was about 2 years ago.) I had seen decent reps with automatic movement, but there were always problems with the font on the date wheel, or other things like that. Well...about a year and a half ago, he shows me a good looking rep. I say, "Cool...I'll take it." hahaha...

Business has been going well. I come to the time in my life when I want to buy another Rolex. All of my watches have been SS. I want a gold Day-Date. Out with my buddy again he said, "It's tough to switch over from SS to gold...try a rep out first."

So...I did, and I like it. My other buddy (who does even BETTER in business, and loves watches) thought it was real and flipped when I told him it wasn't. Now he wants one! hahaha...

Here's some crappy pictures.

The first is of the gen Datejust with an aftermarket SS president style band that I put on it for about a week. Along with my Sub rep.

7884-5373.jpg

This is the Day-Date. The date window looks off...but that's due to the angle.

7884-5374.jpg

Enjoy!

sv

Thanks...The Datejust, in my opinion, looks a hell of a lot better with the jubilee band on it, rather than the shitty aftermarket band.

I got very lucky, knowing a jeweler. Any time he gets a Rolex in, he calls me. In fact, it's very flattering. He has diamond guys in the store and he'll call me over and tell the guy, "Show him...he knows a good thing." hahaha... The diamond guy will look at me weird, then hand me the loupe and diamond.

They usually don't have a problem, because I'm in a suit and look professional. It's very kind for my jeweler to call a kid over...

Just start saving up. That's what I did. Do a painting job here, play a gig with my guitar there, in a month you can have $1500 saved up, and get yourself a nice watch. The Datejust is a 1990, which I bought about 5 years ago, I think. I believe I paid $1300 for it.

My jeweler knows me too well. He said, "Here, try this on." Once I had it on...I couldn't take it off. He said, "Wear it for the weekend, and let me know what you think." That was Friday. Saturday I paid for it. hahaha...

sv

does the aftermarket bracelet on the datejust have the right end-links? iow do they fit the case perfect like the geniune bracelet end-links?

if so would you share with us where you bought the aftermarket bracelet.

Iam looking for datejust bracelets myself but worry about the end links not fitting the case properly.

[edit]Nevermind i just read it was shitty[/edit]

Edited by slickdick

The end links fit the case and lugs well. The band was acutally a really nice band. I just don't think that it looked as nice as I hoped it would have. Meaning.........that band doesn't belong on a Datejust, so it shouldn't be there. If you dig the look, have it it. I bought mine on eBay.

Just make sure the endlinks are curved to the correct radius.

sv

a watch with flimsy endlinks is something that really pisses me off.

I do want to know where can I buy a good aftermarket oyster band with good end links for a 20 mm datejust. any good ebay dealer? I also know watchband and thewatchprince... too bad they dont ship to eu.

Thanks for the tip about saving... I think i am not really good at saving, i read somewhere that people get rich sooner if they learn how to save.

Regards

I don't know any specific dealers. If you are looking to put it on a gen, I would suggest to get a gen bracelet. In my opinion...the clasps on the reps on eBay are the worst. The hallmark is always shitty, and the metal feels thin and cheap.

Talk to a local jeweler. I believe retail on a new Oyster band is $495 US. From what you said, it's a little tough to get stuff by you for a good price... Search around, and I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

sv

well, datejust is frankenwatch (ref 16200). actually its at joe´s, so time will pass until it get to my hands, but I do have to look for a good oyster band, I don´t think the clasp will bother me too much. before spending that sum on a genuine band I´d rather get a rep from mbw. I like luckky´s 16800 a lot (not the 1680). I think it has the very same case as the 16610 but whith holes in the lugs and old band style. Also brwon index. Its a beaty and rarely seen. Thanks for your suggest.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that Datejust (and the Day-Date) ...but, I'm not a fan of the Jubilee bracelet on any watch. I'm also partial to the smooth bezel rather than the rivited. But, I can design my own watch until it looks nothing like the orginal. Ha Ha.

Edited by SubFrog