When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Daytona

marcoxxx1984

Hi friends,

I am considering to buy a gen daytona 16520 or 116520 (of course with a loan). I saw that there are so many versions that I cannot decide...

...I want to make an investment so I think that the 16520 black dial with brownish subdial is the best version (how much does it cost??)

Do you think that the new 116520 with rehaut engraving is a good investment?

Any suggestion would be really appreciated!

Thanks

The 116520 retails at $11,750. I believe that the SS white dial version would be the best investment out of the new models and are getting hard to find. For the best investment a vintage model would be best. 16520 go from around $9,000 up $12,000 depending on dial and age. I can get 116520s at $10,500 while at the same time I get 20-30% off on other models. MUch harder to find that other Rolex models.

For 16520's, I would probably recommend an older R or L serial Daytona if you can find one; floating Cosmograph with inverted 6 and the 200unit bezel, as these are quite difficult to find. I would also recommend a P serial, as that was the last serial to be produced of this model, and was only in production for half of 2000 as the 116520 also made it's debut within this serial range. This makes the P serial 16520 rare as well, and is sought after for it's exclusivity.

The Patrizzi dials are/were a little puffed up in my opinion; I don't think those are wise to purchase, especially with some of the so-called Patrizzi dials out there with 'artifical influence' applied to the subdials. There are also some R serial porcelain dials for the 16520/8; I didn't include those either as the prices are quite high for these pieces (though beautiful and extremely rare).

I must stress that these pieces are really only worth buying at top dollar prices when they are a complete B&P package as well as in appropriate condition. I also think it's better to buy on the primary basis of enjoyment of the watch, and not as an investment vehicle.

Good luck,

//ubi

Hi friends,

I am considering to buy a gen daytona 16520 or 116520 (of course with a loan). I saw that there are so many versions that I cannot decide...

...I want to make an investment so I think that the 16520 black dial with brownish subdial is the best version (how much does it cost??)

Do you think that the new 116520 with rehaut engraving is a good investment?

Any suggestion would be really appreciated!

Thanks

116520 is $9,925 USD in the states. Honestly I don't think either Daytona is a good investment. In any case, there's bound to be a new Daytona soon so either one of these will be vintage.

(of course with a loan)

The interest on the loan would eat up any appreciation you would realize over time, unless you're in your teens.

Save your pennies in a jar Marco. A ten year old Sub is probably within reach without a need for a loan, and may even appreciate with a faster percentage rate with regard to it's base price. That is, considering it's collateral value over time, you could realize having worn a Rolex for 'free' should you choose to part with it in the future.